Junk Files To Be Cleaned - False Positive

Hello,

Recently, I've been getting a popup indicating that 1+ GB of junk files can be cleaned - I've been getting the popup every few days. However, when I run CCleaner the actual amount is less than 500 MB. Under options, "Tell me when there are junk files to clean" is unchecked (i.e., false). 

• Moderators

I'm not sure why you get the pop-up if you have that option unticked, (is this CCleaner Free version or Pro version, what version number is it?)
Could you post a screenshot of your Smart Cleaning settings?
And one of the pop-up if you can capture it?

And just as a check can you confirm which Windows version you have?

However the discrepancy of 1+GB found but only 500MB actually being there to clean may be because of a corrupted Recycle Bin, it's a long standing bug in Windows but it's easily fixed.

See here for more info and how to fix a corrupted bin:

*** Out of Beer Error ->->-> Recovering Memory ***

Worried about 'Tracking Files'? Worried about why some files come back after cleaning? See this link:
https://community.ccleaner.com/topic/52668-tracking-files/?tab=comments#comment-300043

• Moderators

Great, thanks for those.

First the pop-ups.
I don't know why it's doing that when you have it unticked - it looks like the setting may have got stuck on, so I would try ticking the box, close CCleaner, open CCleaner, untick the box again, close CCleaner.
Just to see if that gives it a shake to keep the setting you want.
Of course you could always simply turn off Smart Cleaning.

The discrepancy in the amount of junk to clean will be because Smart Cleaning uses Custom Clean.
image.png

Custom Clean will find different things to what Health Check finds. It depends on just what you have set Custom Clean to find/clean.
Custom Clean can be set to find/clean things that Health Check doesn't touch.

*** Out of Beer Error ->->-> Recovering Memory ***

Worried about 'Tracking Files'? Worried about why some files come back after cleaning? See this link:
https://community.ccleaner.com/topic/52668-tracking-files/?tab=comments#comment-300043

• 1 year later...