Ccleaner NOT cleaning Brave browser.

ccjm

Ccleaner is not cleaning Brave browser's either cache, cookies, internet history or all of them, don't know.    Tested it with youtube and this forum twice.  What I did.

1.  Using Process Explorer program, I terminated Brave browser, which had 7 tabs opened, including one of Youtube and one of this forum.

2.  Ran Ccleaner.  Report says it cleaned cache, internet history, and cookie files.

3.  Opened Brave browser back up and restored tabs when asked.

4.  I'm able to use the BACK button on both Youtube and this forum to view previous visited pages.  

5.  Had to use the browser's  "Clear Browsing Data" tool to clean up the browser.

Windows 8.1, 64-bit, up to date on Brave, Ccleaner and windows.  

Edited by ccjm
Grammar.

• Moderators

A couple of things could be happening here:

Brave is a Chromium based browser - and Chrome browsers changed where and how cookies are stored just before CCleaner v5.88 was released.
It happens now and again, browsers sometimes change things without warning, leaving other apps such as cleaners (and antiviruses) to catch up with what they have changed.
(It happened with Firefox cookies a couple a months ago to make Firefox more secure, Chrome/Chromium just took a couple of months to 'copy' what Firefox did by storing cookies more securely).

This means that CCleaner now needs updating again so that it will clear those new cookie locations for Chromium based browsers, this will happen with the next update, to v5.89, due in a week or two (maybe sooner).

See this for a bit more information:

However you are mentioning more than cookies so there could be another couple of possibilities.

The First is if you have the browser (or extensions/add-ons) set to pre-load or to run in the background after closing.
CCleaner cannot clean a browser if part of it is open in the background, so you have to turn those options off.

The Second, and more likely from what you describe, is 'syncing'.
If you have your browser set to sync then anything that you clean from your machine will be put right back by the syncing.
That's how syncing works, it saves your history, session, cookies, etc. in the cloud and sends it back to all your synced devices that don't have it.

Take a read of the second part of this "Files that re-appear straight after cleaning" for an explanation of why some things that you have cleaned may come straight back, and what you can do to stop some of it happening:

*** Out of Beer Error ->->-> Recovering Memory ***

Worried about 'Tracking Files'? Worried about why some files come back after cleaning? See this link:
https://community.ccleaner.com/topic/52668-tracking-files/?tab=comments#comment-300043

9 hours ago, nukecad said:

However you are mentioning more than cookies so there could be another couple of possibilities.

Thanks for your reply. 

To be honest, I don't know what it is exactly, whether cookies or cache.  All I know is that Brave is not cleaning something in Brave.  I'm able to press the Back button in Brave and visit previously visited pages, all after running Ccleaner.  This didn't use to happen before.

The First is if you have the browser (or extensions/add-ons) set to pre-load or to run in the background after closing.

Never messed with the couple of extensions that I have active, which are "Roboform", "Session Buddy" and "Translator" (Tagalog to English, Spanish, etc).  I set the browser long time ago to continue where it left off after restarting the browser or a crash.  That's all I have done.  And like I said, I always use "Process Explorer" to terminate all the processes of Brave browser in my computer before running Ccleaner.  If I don't terminate them, then the Ccleaner report would show a "Skipped" entry next to all the Brave cleaning tasks.  So there is never a Brave or Brave related process running in the background when I run Ccleaner.  I make sure of that.  Been doing this for years.  This issue is something new.  

The Second, and more likely from what you describe, is 'syncing'.
If you have your browser set to sync then anything that you clean from your machine will be put right back by the syncing.
That's how syncing works, it saves your history, session, cookies, etc. in the cloud and sends it back to all your synced devices that don't have it.

I don't use syncing.  I'm an anti-cloud storage person (I went back to Roboform recently from Lastpass :-) to have control of my logins in my computer) and I do not use any syncing.  Anything remotely similar to that that I do is just having set the browser to continue where it left off.  Long ago I was having problems with Brave crashing and losing all my tabs, so I setup the browser to restore (prompt to) all the tabs.  I use Session Buddy as a backup as well. 

I think the issue might have to do with what you said about Brave changing the cookie location.  Hopefully the next Ccleaner update addresses that issue.

Thanks again, nukecad.  

Edited by ccjm