Can not open CCleaner after windows update....windows 10

keithmoon

Hello, I've been using CCleaner professional on my PC and laptop for quite a while now. Recently, microsoft did one of their forced updates on my laptop, and now I cannot get CCleaner to open. (windows 10)

Usually after a windows "update" my laptop is kind of dodgy until I run CCleaner, but now I cannot even do that. I've never had this happen before.

Has anyone seen this before ?

• Moderators

What version is your CCleaner?
Windows Defender does not like old CCleaner versions and will stop them from running, As a CCleaner version gets older it drops off Windows 'allowed' list.

Also what Windows 10 version do you have now, and what AV are you using?
As you just got a forced update you will previously have had Windows 10 1903, that became 'end of life' on 8th December so they are now forcing updates to it.
Which version you have been updated to will depend on  your computer.

Seeing as CCleaner stopped working for you following a Windows Update there is something that you should check.
Check Windows settings for Apps & features to make sure it hasn't defaulted to only allow apps from the Microsoft Store, it has been known to do that after a Windows Update.
If it has then change it back to 'Anywhere'.
image.png

The latest CCleaner version is 5.88, if you don't have it already then you can download the installer from here and simply install it on top of your current version, ie. no need to uninstall first.
https://www.ccleaner.com/ccleaner/builds

If you are still having issues after doing that then would be the time to try uninstalling CCleaner and doing a fresh install.
If you do uninstall then make a note of your registered name and licence key before uninstalling, you'll need it to re-register the new install.

*** Out of Beer Error ->->-> Recovering Memory ***

Worried about 'Tracking Files'? Worried about why some files come back after cleaning? See this link:
https://community.ccleaner.com/topic/52668-tracking-files/?tab=comments#comment-300043

Hello nukecad, and thanks for the reply. As far as I know I have the newest version of CCleaner, but cannot open it to check.  Under "apps and features" , CCleaner is dated 12/15/21

Under " Apps and features" CCleaner is dated 12/15/21 , so I'm going to guess that's the latest version

I have Windows   Version 21H2...... OS Builds 19041.1415, 19042.1415, 19043.1415, and 19044.1415

I'm using a Toshiba Sattelite that is probably around five years old, more or less

And I'm embarrased to say I do not know what an AV is......

The box is checked for "anywhere" for getting apps.

If I end uphaving to download the new and uninstall the old, will I get the CC professional that I paid for or the free one ?

Edited by keithmoon

• Moderators

If you reinstall CCleaner 'over the top' of your existing one then it will keep your licence.

If you uninstall and reinstall then you will need to go to Options>About>Upgrade to Pro, enter your licence key and click Register. So make a note of your key before uninstalling.

21H2 is the latest Windows 10 so you are bang up to date with that.

PS. AV is just shorthand for AntiVirus, Windows Defender is the standard one that all Windows 10 has and is very good - some people do like to use a different one though which can sometimes cause problems.

Worried about 'Tracking Files'? Worried about why some files come back after cleaning? See this link:
https://community.ccleaner.com/topic/52668-tracking-files/?tab=comments#comment-300043

Thanks for the info. I am using Norton 360 and WindowsFirewall is disabled. Is one better than the other ?

Which option would you recommend , reinstall CCleaner 'over the top' of my existing one ? Or uninstall and reinstall...

Or does it not matter ? 

• Moderators

No problem,
it sounds like something got 'lost' during the update and reinstalling CCleaner put it back.

Norton is good. (In fact they now own Piriform/CCleaner since they bough Avast).
Microsoft Defender is now also fine, it ranks as good in tests as most that you can buy and better than many, and as it's already included with Windows why pay for something else?
If you don't put another AV on your machine, or uninstall an AV that is there, Defender will take over automatically.

Here's a current review, written 11 day ago (always check the date on any reviews you read for anything, things change):
https://www.techradar.com/uk/reviews/windows-defender

Final verdict

Microsoft Defender isn't as feature-packed as the top antivirus competition, but it's more accurate than some big-name commercial products, and is much less likely to cause issues with your other applications. If simplicity (or price) is top of your priority list, it's a reasonable choice.

I read the full review, and it sounds like Windows Defender is much better than I was told by the person who sold me the Norton.

Hmmm. No surprise there I guess. Since the yearly subscription is already paid for, I'll keep using the Norton for now.

But it's good to know that the Windows Defender is good if I need it.

Thanks again for your help, otherwise I would still be waiting for customer service.

And I learned something new, which is always good. Stay safe...........