Help! files deleted

If you used only the "Issue" resolver part of CCleaner, then only registry entries are removed, all files should remain intact.

firefoxblue4yw.gif

button_b.png hydrogen2nr.png

80x15_3.png

If you used only the "Issue" resolver part of CCleaner, then only registry entries are removed, all files should remain intact.

:(:(:( Thanks guys!

but none of your answer is good.the files were deleted and fortunately i make a dayly backup of documents and settings to another disk so i could re import for half an hour all the messages from yesterday.

But this shos to me that this tool is very dangerous!!!

No?

But this shos to me that this tool is very dangerous!!!

No?

No.

Used with the default settings CCLeaner is simply UNable to remove system files, or files/folders belonging to third party applications...

What is the email application in question, and what exactly were those files you think CCleaner might have removed? (exact location, names, extensions)

firstly thank you to all that are trying to help.

rridgely I downloaded and tried that with no luck.

bourquiqnon I have run this program a lot and never had any problems.

hazelnut I have for them and run antispyware--antivirus programs and cannot find anything.

TonyKlien what are you talking about. I only joined this forum an hour ago so what is it I was supposed to answer.

I never changed any settings inthe cleaner and it usually removes only the stuff I want but this time it has removed everything in my documents; all documents, photos, music, etc

I would appreciate yours or anyone elses help

TonyKlien what are you talking about. I only joined this forum an hour ago so what is it I was supposed to answer.

Hi hapy days; welcome to the board. :)

That wasn't directed to you, but to bourguignon. It seems that both your topics have now been merged, and some posts were removed in the process... :rolleyes:

I never changed any settings inthe cleaner and it usually removes only the stuff I want but this time it has removed everything in my documents; all documents, photos, music, etc

But as I said in your original topic, CCleaner can't all by itself suddenly have "changed its mind" and decide it will now start deleting files in My Documents....

It wasn't programmed to, and it doesn't have a mind of its own....

This can only happen if someone

1) manually edits the winapp.ini or winapp2.ini file and adds the My Documents folder as an item to be 'cleaned'.

or

2) adds the contents of the My Documents folder to the Custom Files and Folders to be cleaned.

I do realize this information isn't likely to make you a lot happier, but I thought it might be a good idea to explain how CCleaner operates...

You ARE referring to the contents of the following folder?

"C:\Documents and Settings\Your User name\My Documents

yes, they are all gone.

when I hit start button at the top right you usually have my computor; my documents; my pictures only my computor and my documents are there and when you open my documents its totally empty, pics, photos, documents all vanished.

is there anyway to undo what the cleaner done and why this time and never before did it do this, I am baffled as I have found it a great program

is there anyway to undo what the cleaner done

Well, as I said, technically CCLeaner is unable to do this in the first place, so I'm baffled myself...

Therefore I'm going to suppose for (only) a moment that your files aren't really gone, but only 'invisible' (please bear with me...)

First, Double-click My Computer.

Go to the Tools menu > Folder Options, and make sure that, on the View tab, "show hidden files and folders" is checked. Click 'Apply to all folders', then click OK

In the My Computer window, doubleclick the C: drive (if that's where your documents folder is) in order to open it and reveal its contents, then doubleclick the Documents and Settings folder, then the folder bearing your User Name, and finally the My Documents folder in there. Is it still empty?

If so, I wonder (without being at all certain) if this could possibly be due to some kind of system file corruption.

Could you try the following:

Go to Start > Programs > Accessories > System Tools, and choose System Restore.

Click Next, then choose "Restore my computer to an earlier time".

Pick a date and time a little before this happened, and when you were certain you still had those files and folders.

Click Next, and allow System Restore to restore a previous registry and set of system files.

Tell us how that goes...

I'm afraid not, and this type of 'remote troubleshooting' really does have its limitations...

As I said, it is really impossible for CCLeaner to remove stuff it wasn't programmed to do, so could all this be a very unfortunate coincidence?

I really have no idea of what exactly happened there...

BTW, if you remember the exact names of some of the files that have disappeared (document.doc, whatever.jpg, thing.txt) it can't hurt to try doing a Find Files for each of those filenames. You never know.

How to Find Files on Your Windows Computer

Tried that and found nothing. Had a look at the options in c/cleaner and it was definitely not to touch anything like my documents so I am baffled as to why this happened. I have checked my computor to make sure that there is no virus/trojans or such which could have caused this and found nothing.

appears an unfortunate occurrence and all lost.

maybe try recover my files or a program like that just to see. If I find them anyway I will post and let you know.

In the meantime many, many thanks for your help it is very much appreciated. if ever I can help, just ask

THANKS TonyKlein and anyone else who gave advice on the lost post.

You're very welcome, Hapy days. I'm just sorry I couldn't be of more help.

I do feel for you. Although I know this isn't going to help you right now, can I all the same advise you from now on to BACK UP your documents.

You never know when an unfortunate incident like this might occur. Your harddisk could crash, your computer might even get stolen, you name it

There's some excellent backup software available (Acronis True Image, Symantec Ghost, and others)

• 2 weeks later...