CCleaner Locks up

When I click on Check for Updates  CCleaner either locks up completely or asks me to register it. I am a registered owner and running CCleaner Pro 5.82.8950  (64bit)

Using Windows version 21H1  Build 19043.1081 This is latest release ...

CCleanerBug.png

Edited by OldMike65
Added more info

Guest johnccleaner

We were currently having a bit of trouble with the update server, which is likely what is causing this problem to occur for you. However, this should now be corrected, so this should not occur again.

In any event, version 5.82.8950 is the latest version of CCleaner currently available, and as it was just released on the 17th, it is likely that it will be at least a couple of weeks before the next update is available. :)

3 hours ago, johnccleaner said:

We were currently having a bit of trouble with the update server, which is likely what is causing this problem to occur for you. However, this should now be corrected, so this should not occur again.

In any event, version 5.82.8950 is the latest version of CCleaner currently available, and as it was just released on the 17th, it is likely that it will be at least a couple of weeks before the next update is available. :)

Ok its been 3 hours, and you've told me it was a server issue.  Well its still not fixed. Click it once or even twice and it will be ok , but after 2 clicks its back to same issue as I reported. 

Guest johnccleaner

Then that seems to suggest that there's something going on with your installation or computer that's causing this. (Just checked for updates myself on two computers, one on the company network, one not; both came back pretty much instantly with results, and I even updated the one of them that I'd left on version 5.81, right from the Check for Updates prompt.)

Being unable to access the server (which is what the 'could not be updated' message indicates) is generally due to CCleaner being blocked - usually by a security suite or firewall. I'd recommend making an exception for CCleaner in any such software you have installed. We've also, on occasion, found that usage of a VPN can interfere with this, so if you are using one, try doing the check when not connected to the VPN?

If you keep having trouble, I'd recommend uninstalling CCleaner outright, then restarting the computer via the Start menu, and finally downloading and installing a fresh version of the software from: https://www.ccleaner.com/ccleaner/download/standard (you can then register in Options > About afterwards) to try to eliminate any possibility of some bit of the program having gotten flipped by a cosmic ray or some such.

If even that doesn't resolve it, you might want to get in contact with the support team directly via the Contact Us form here: https://support.piriform.com/hc/en-us/requests/new or by emailing support@ccleaner.com as that would seem to suggest something rather esoteric and strange that would need to be looked into further.

6 hours ago, johnccleaner said:

Then that seems to suggest that there's something going on with your installation or computer that's causing this. (Just checked for updates myself on two computers, one on the company network, one not; both came back pretty much instantly with results, and I even updated the one of them that I'd left on version 5.81, right from the Check for Updates prompt.)

Being unable to access the server (which is what the 'could not be updated' message indicates) is generally due to CCleaner being blocked - usually by a security suite or firewall. I'd recommend making an exception for CCleaner in any such software you have installed. We've also, on occasion, found that usage of a VPN can interfere with this, so if you are using one, try doing the check when not connected to the VPN?

If you keep having trouble, I'd recommend uninstalling CCleaner outright, then restarting the computer via the Start menu, and finally downloading and installing a fresh version of the software from: https://www.ccleaner.com/ccleaner/download/standard (you can then register in Options > About afterwards) to try to eliminate any possibility of some bit of the program having gotten flipped by a cosmic ray or some such.

If even that doesn't resolve it, you might want to get in contact with the support team directly via the Contact Us form here: https://support.piriform.com/hc/en-us/requests/new or by emailing support@ccleaner.com as that would seem to suggest something rather esoteric and strange that would need to be looked into further.

Nope ...nothing wrong with my rig at all ....maybe your misunderstanding me.   I'll try to explain it again. 

If I click on check for updates just once OR even twice I get this screen...

CCleanerGood.png.ec95b83270797927c4e0aed7a4182f54.png

But if I click on check for updates MORE THAN 2 Times it fails .....to test what I'm trying to tell you is to click on check for updates 3 or 4 times please. 

• Moderators

Hi @OldMike65

This has in fact been reported before and it is easly reproducible.

We are assured that it is on the list of small things to be looked at, however although it is strange behaviour I don't think that it's very high on the list.

The thinking has to be that if you have clicked on 'Check for updates' and been told that you are up to date then why would you click on 'Check for updates' another 2 times or more?

*** Out of Beer Error ->->-> Recovering Memory ***

Worried about 'Tracking Files'? Worried about why some files come back after cleaning? See this link:
https://community.ccleaner.com/topic/52668-tracking-files/?tab=comments#comment-300043

Guest johnccleaner

Ah, my mistake - that is actually intentional.

Basically, after a certain number of events, CCleaner will stop communicating with our server in order to prevent users from overwhelming it. In a worst case scenario, without a protection like that, this could be used to DDoS our update server, which we definitely don't want!

As such, it's a normal throttling measure to prevent things like that from occurring. Given the confusion, though, I'll be happy to mention it to see if we can make this clearer; though as was mentioned, that may not be considered a priority after the moment. After all, I confess I'm with Nukecad; if you've been told you're up to date, why would you click again and again intentionally?