Recuva seems stuck in phase 1 of 3 at 130% complete wuth time estimate 24 days

nuraika

started a deep scan several hours ago and last time I checked progress showed as stage 1 of 3 (Sacnning), progress 67% with time to go of 2 hours.  Two hours later and its showing 130% complete with a time to go between 11 days and 24 days.   Does this mean the program is stuck or should I let it run on overnight?

• Moderators

I'd leave it running; make sure that your computer is not set to 'Sleep' when inactive.
If it goes to sleep then Recuva will continue the scan when the computer wakes again but you won't be able to do anything with the results and will have to scan again from scratch. (It's some limitation of Windows).

I never trust those guesses for how long is left, not from any programme or even Microsoft Updates.
That's all they are; guesses.

Too often I've seen them jump  from saying "XYZ hours left" to suddenly say completed.

How big is the drive? Obviously a multi-TB drive will take longer to scan than a 500 GB drive.

*** Out of Beer Error ->->-> Recovering Memory ***

Worried about 'Tracking Files'? Worried about why some files come back after cleaning? See this link:
https://community.ccleaner.com/topic/52668-tracking-files/?tab=comments#comment-300043

10 hours ago, nukecad said:

I'd leave it running; make sure that your computer is not set to 'Sleep' when inactive.
If it goes to sleep then Recuva will continue the scan when the computer wakes again but you won't be able to do anything with the results and will have to scan again from scratch. (It's some limitation of Windows).

I never trust those guesses for how long is left, not from any programme or even Microsoft Updates.
That's all they are; guesses.

Too often I've seen them jump  from saying "XYZ hours left" to suddenly say completed.

How big is the drive? Obviously a multi-TB drive will take longer to scan than a 500 GB drive.

Hi, 

Thanks for the info.    I'll have to restart it in any case as my laptop decided to reboot after an unexpected update!..   

FYi its an external 1TB drive I'm trying to recover.   Windows acknowledges the drives existence but tells me its corrupted.   Recuva indicated it had found over 40,000 files so hopefully i may be able to get the most of them back

• 5 months later...

It keeps on getting stuck at stage 1 of 3, 9%, 4 days remaining, 78486 files found on a 1TB external drive. It's been running for over 24 hours now. I've checked the power settings to make sure that nothing is disabled for power saving. Task manager shows fluctuating cpu usage for the Recuva process. I've tried rebooting. I paid for the professional version so I expect it to work. The free Piriform version always worked like a charm, so I'm surprised that the paid version is so terrible.

• Moderators
4 hours ago, AC Fischer said:

The free Piriform version always worked like a charm, so I'm surprised that the paid version is so terrible.

the free and pro are exactly the same when it comes to recovery.  A scan (especially a deep scan) will take a very long time on modern huge drives that's the nature of the beast.

ADVICE FOR USING CCleaner'S REGISTRY INTEGRITY SECTION

DON'T JUST CLEAN EVERYTHING THAT'S CHECKED OFF.

Do your Registry Cleaning in small bits (at the very least Check-mark by Check-mark)

ALWAYS BACKUP THE ENTRY, YOU NEVER KNOW WHAT YOU'LL BREAK IF YOU DON'T.

Support at https://support.ccleaner.com/s/?language=en_US

Pro users file a PRIORITY SUPPORT via email support@ccleaner.com