System Crash

jtjasmine

is it possible that a website can shut my system down? BUT it's a websit that exists only because of networking...if networking isn't possible they collapse...so it can't be something they have put into the site...what's going on with my computer...it's shut down four times this morning suddenly...after having never done this previously...

:(

• Moderators

Yes a website can shutdown your PC and I used to deal with it years ago when visiting the ZDNet download website on my Win98 PC.

However I suspect it may also be because of an open port that can be remotely exploited by some script kiddy which can shutdown your PC which is something just about any modern software-based firewall (ZoneAlarm, Sygate Personal Firewall, Sunbelt Kerio Personal Firewall, even Windows Firewall) will protect against unless of course the problem is from a script on the website.

If this is constantly happening to you on a more than annoying level I'd suggest that you make sure it isn't malware related and do the following:

1. Read and follow the Spyware Removal Guide
  2. Post a HijackThis log in:
    http://forum.ccleaner.com/index.php?showforum=12

You can try the three below;

I had some what of the same problem?

1]

Won't hurt to unistall and install a fresh copy of Macromedia Flash player and Macromedia Shockwave Player!

------------------

To give yourself a fresh Macromedia Player's program installation [Eliminating the Bugs??] do have a look within your = Control Panel = Add & Remove = and see if you have both programs listed of Macromedia [Could be shown as under Adobe ....] Flash Player and Macromedia Shock Wave Player and uninstall same! [May not show in Add and Remove?? = If not, use the Macromedia Uninstallers??]

Next Go to URL [May have to copy and paste into Internet Address Field]

[Note This Web Page is Slow to Open??? = Both of the Adobe Player Uninstallers and the Program are shown in the Web Page]

www.adobe.com/shockwave/download/alternates/

Then use the Macromedia Uninstallers of Macromedia Flash Player and Shock WavePlayer ''Uninstall Programs'' and repeat using the Unistallers a couple of times to make sure that all the unininstall has been done [clean] and then install both their latest Macromedia players as available from within this web page.

May be worth the try to see if overcomes your problems

------------------------

2]

I found if I "Disabled" the Add-Ons of = Shockwave Flash Object... = SSV Helper Class ....= Sun Java Console...= I can access/view the Web sites I had problems with!

[The "Add-Ons" found within = Toolbar = Tools = Manage Add-ons...] You may have to also try some of the other Add-Ons???

An alternative place you can access them from is = Right Click Internet Explorer [icon] = Properties = Program [folder] = Manage AddOns [button] = and within you can locate the ones I have listed?

Since keeping the Add-Ons as customised I can view the sites all OK.

Yes I do I notice you may loose the flash movie clips that show on the Web Pages!

----------------------------------------------------

3]

If you have agraphics card fitted you could try and decelerate same?

---------------------

Hope may help overcome your problems

Regards

Use Mozilla Firefox.

You can also uninstall Flash, and disable Java, JavaScript, etc.

And disable ActiveX and stuff.

firefoxblue4yw.gif

button_b.png hydrogen2nr.png

80x15_3.png