Win 10 update shutdown in middle of recovery

duhg

I have scanned my Verbatim 1 TB usb external drive. After a number of hours, it showed me files that could be recovered. I started the process of recovering them a couple days ago. With about 84% recovered so far and about 10 hours to go, I was working on other stuff. I left the computer for a short bit and came back to my biggest fear. Because I am using Win 10, it did, I am assuming, an update, as the computer was in the restarted mode and all the programs I had open were closed.

I did make a text file of the recoverable files. Is there a way to continue from the 84% or do I have to start all over again. Otherwise, I could just skip the last 15 %.

Thank you for your help

• Moderators

Can you see the 84% recovered files? (ie. have they been sucessfully recovered?)

If so then I think you'll still need to do a new scan, but will only need to select that last 16% for recovery.

Someone more familiar with Recuva may be along to confirm that.

PS.
A bit late for you now, but maybe useful for future reference.
If it was a Windows Update that caused the issue then with Windows 10 you can pause updates for up to 35 days, there's even a quick 'Pause updates for 7 days' button.
It's a good idea to put an update pause on if you are going to be leaving the computer working unattended on an important task for several hours.

You can also change the 'Active Hours' so that Windows will not automatically restart the computer following an update during those hours.
image.png

*** Out of Beer Error ->->-> Recovering Memory ***

Worried about 'Tracking Files'? Worried about why some files come back after cleaning? See this link:
https://community.ccleaner.com/topic/52668-tracking-files/?tab=comments#comment-300043

• 2 weeks later...

Thank you so much for your help. I have done the steps, and found that some of the files were actually downloaded. Rather than mess around, I just started fresh, as I didn't see a spot where it stopped. So I did the process all over and set the date for 35 days. More than enough time. I selected all the green and yellows. Set skip for files already downloaded. 23 hours later... done.

As for setting the update for later, it is not too late now for other times when I have lost work due to the updates, as now I know how to avoid the issue.

Thanks again.

Duhg