Does Defraggler support TRIM on Windows XP?

Panzercat

I have a Windows XP Professional x64 runs on a SSD Intel 520 240GB.

I tried use Defraggler to TRIM this SSD, but I didn't find any "Optimise" button, there was only a "Defrag" button below, which warned it will reduce SSD's lifetime when I clicked it.

5c6570ef08e71_.JPG.0800e83966647e4681a3ee4ab4e4257b.JPG

So, does Defraggler support TRIM on Windows XP?

• Moderators

I don't think that XP supports TRIM natively, and defraggler runs under XP, so no, although there might be a utility available from the SSD manufacturers to do the same thing.

• Moderators

Most SSD manufacturers just use the compatibility that's already built into Windows (unless you find some ancient version of their software that may have had the Trim feature). You may need to find some third-party tool that can do it (if one exists I don't know) rather it be freeware or commercial, and then if it actually supports WinXP itself would be the next hurdle.

Wouldn't it be so much simpler if the Trim command was just built right into the SSDs themselves and they'd automatically perform the Trim by themselves, then there'd be true support for older systems and even game consoles so the SSDs don't prematurely fail.

• Moderators

The SSD has to be told what pages are no longer wanted (deleted) and the O/S has to do that, which is the definition of TRIM. XP doesn't have the capability of issuing TRIM commands as I understand it so the SSD has no way of knowing what's live and what isn't. File deletion takes place in the MFT, not at the storage device level.

(What the Defraggler screen shot is showing, by the way, is entirely constructed from the MFT, or the MFT bitmap to be precise.)