WIFI connector thingy

TheFiresInTheSky

i have a linksys and everywhere i go, it only works if im withing 5 ft of the router. i even reinstalled windows and it still does this. i use the software that it came with since "zero configure" or whatever that is isnt installed on my computer. could that make a difference?

have u tried chaning the chanel, what speed its set at, looked on the linksys site to see if this is a frequent problem. many things that can go wrong with these. another thought have u tried updating the firmware?

Homer: I never apologise, im sorry Lisa. Thats just the way i am

Yep oli is right.

1. I know that I just recently upgraded my Linksys router. That's the first thing to do.

2. Then change the channel. What can happen is wireless/cordless phones can interefere with the connection because they run on the same frequency as the router.

Try those things first then let us know if that helped. Also, what is that satellite thing? What does it do? Do you have a link for it?

K

Windows Pro Media 8.1 x64  |  8GB Ram  |  500G HDD 7200 RPM  |  All  that I know about my graphics is that it's Intel  :)

idk what you mean satellite. and i also dont get why im having the same problems ANYWHERE i go. i doubt EVERYBODYS router is broken. so what can i do my computer?

oh! You didn't say that before silly. I don't know then. ;)

ya its not a card tho.

A PIC

What is that?

Windows Pro Media 8.1 x64  |  8GB Ram  |  500G HDD 7200 RPM  |  All  that I know about my graphics is that it's Intel  :)

i have a linksys and everywhere i go, it only works if im withing 5 ft of the router.

HeHe, the pic is what i have. it does the same thing as a card does.

HeHe, the pic is what i have. it does the same thing as a card does.

I got that much. What is it called??????????????? :blink:

At a typical location, what doe the Network Monitor indicate?

On the Site Survey, does it detect the access point to which you're trying to connect? Does it detect a lot of other nearby access points?

Once connected, what kind of Noise Level and Signal Strength readings are you getting?

What make/model of access point(s) are you trying to use?

it detects the one im looking for if im right under it or beside it. its still not that good of a strength but i can keep signal for a couple minutes. nobody else usually uses them at the same time. no other access points except the one im looking for.

To eliminate the obvious:

1. is it possible that your computer has limited-current ports or USB 1.0 (rather than 1.1 or 2.0); or

2. are you connecting your adapter through a long extension or an unpowered USB hub; or

3. do you have multiple USB devices hooked up?