More Nuisance Cookies

crizal

I just did a clean install of the latest version, 5.45.6611.  Under options>cookies>cookies to keep, there's the usual assortment of cookies I don't want or need.  I moved them over to the left and manually deleted them.  After restarting my computer, all came back (no surprise).  I went into safe mode and deleted all and after restarting, some of the cookies returned, along with a new one that wasn't there before and joining in, the one responsible for the intrusive advertising, ipm-provider.ff.avast.com, a cookie that can never be deleted.  Long story short, I had to go into safe mode four times to get rid of this junk because the cookies kept coming back.  Now, I've only got ipm-provider.ff.avast.com.  

Can Avast/Piriform make it any more unpleasant to use this program?  Sure!  They're now admitting what we've already known -- CCleaner phones home with collected data.  And, they removed a privacy option to not send collected data, disabled the ability to turn off monitoring and left us with a new build that constantly runs in the background after you close the program (probably collecting even more data).

This is ludicrous.  CCleaner has been turned into exactly what it's supposed to find and get rid of -- crap.  I keep telling myself I'm going to dump this program if this rubbish continues.  Problem is, at this point, I'm not that enthusiastic about the competition.  I suppose if push comes to shove, I'll just call it a day and use Windows Disk Cleanup (better than nothing).

Rant over.  :angry:

• Moderators

Re 'cookies to keep'.

These should not keep coming back once you have moved them over.

Do you have a .ini file in your ccleaner directory? or maybe you have winapp2 ? Either of those could recreate 'cookies to keep'.

As for the rest, welcome to the ever growing club of us getting fed up with the way things are deteriorating.

*** Out of Beer Error ->->-> Recovering Memory ***

Worried about 'Tracking Files'? Worried about why some files come back after cleaning? See this link:
https://community.ccleaner.com/topic/52668-tracking-files/?tab=comments#comment-300043

10 minutes ago, nukecad said:

Do you have a .ini file in your ccleaner directory? or maybe you have winapp2 ? Either of those could recreate 'cookies to keep'.

Negative, neither one.  In any event, all of those cookies are still gone, except the notorious ipm-provider.ff.avast.com.

12 minutes ago, nukecad said:

welcome to the ever growing club of us getting fed up with the way things are deteriorating.

It's pretty obvious that Avast/Piriform have no intention of listening to any feedback from users.  They will do what they want to do, even if the "master plan" is to destroy the product and turn it into a spyware/advertising abomination like some of CCleaner's competing programs.  

Very frustrating because as I stated in my top post, I'm not that impressed right now with the alternatives.