Long running script

spetho2001

I have a Windows 7 SP1 with Internet Explorer 11 desktop. I use Outlook.com as my web based email service.

Lately Outlook email seems to be running very slow and I keep getting a message at the bottom of the screen that says

"Live.com is not responding due to long running script" with an option to STOP SCRIPT. If I do nothing the message goes away and everything is working.

Slow.

I don't seem to have any issues with any other service except maybe TWC  (Weather.com) which always has run slow because of all the video adds trying to load.

The Outlook email thing just started. I wrote to Outlook tech help and they said it seemed like my browser (IE) was unstable and they wanted me to reset it. I wrote back and told them I did not think so as I wasn't have trouble with anything else  It seems their browser (Microsoft) does not run well with their email service. I see Microsoft is offering a  Beta version of the new email  which I declined. I have a suspicion it is the same old story with Microsoft trying to force you onto the new service.

Has anyone had this experience or can you offer any suggestions.

I notice in IE options there is an option about script debugging that is checked. I don't know what this is.

I also notice that in doing a Google search a lot of people have had the same problem with the Microsoft email service. See the first Google search hit.

IE Options.jpg

Long running script 1.jpg

• Moderators

off the bat I would be trying another browser, say Firefox or Chrome.
then you'll know if the issue is simply IE based.  (which is where my money is)

Backup now & backup often.
It's your digital life - protect it with a backup.
Three things are certain; Birth, Death and loss of data. You control the last.

I agree but it seems to be only based with IE and Outlook.com email or to put it another way Microsoft browser with Microsoft email. It is not happening with anything else. What do you think of that?

Thank you,

TomS

• Moderators

IE script errors is something that's been around forever, and it was one of the reasons (along with security) I abandoned IE back in the Win98 era and never looked back.

They've probably changed something on Outlook which isn't all too surprising because when they change something it will often cause problems in other web browsers. Reporting it to them like you've did is about all you can do if it's a problem with their website, and if that gets nowhere perhaps try as mta suggested give a different web browser a whirl, also perhaps get an email account elsewhere if it's too frustrating to deal with.

Andavari,

Also, they are changing Outlook.com. They have a BETA version that they want you to try and they give you the option to toggle between the Beta and the old version with a toggle switch at the top RH corner of the page. The problems seem to have started when they offered this.

So the Microsoft email does not work in the Microsoft browser. The email works in other browsers. I don't have trouble with anything else.

I agree. This fellow, Raymond, at Outlook.com support took a lot of time going back and forth with me trying to help.

I believe the problem lies with the Microsoft email and Microsoft browser combination.

I don't believe the IE browser on my computer needs to be reset as it works fine with everything else. Almost!

It works fine with GMail. What is that all about???

• Moderators

Java, and Javascript are not the same thing though. Javascript (although they could've used some other scripting) is something that runs inside of a webpage to do things, etc., whereas Java is an installed program which I won't get into explaining being that I've had it uninstalled for many years.

• Moderators

Not having used IE for years I didn't known until I found this good explanation of it:
https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/ie/forum/ie8-windows_7/what-does-disable-script-debug-mean/9475daf6-6197-434d-84df-9c495c0cdabb

Here was the search I used that has many things about it:
https://duckduckgo.com/?q=disable+script+debugging+in+internet+explorer&t=ffsb&ia=web