Recycle Bin Option

orlp

This may be something of a challenge to program, but I for one would find it an extremely useful addition to an already very useful prog:

->Add an advanced option to remove only items deleted more than xx hours ago from the recycle bin.

Comment:

Windows only deletes objects from the recycle bin when it is full. That leads to enormous numbers of files in the recycle bin and a lot of wasted disk space. Most cleaners offer the option of emptying the bin, but that may remove recently accidentally deleted files.

On the other hand 99% of accidental deletions that need to be undone are noticed within a couple of hours and

99.99% within 1 week (168 hours). So if Ccleeaner could remove only older items, the recycle bin could be kept small and useful.

NB It is important to use the deletion time (stored in the INFO2 file) and not the file date.

I seriously doubt that will happen dude. ;) Sorry, but all PC users need to start learning to backup their computers. That's what needs to happen. It isn't various Programs responsibility to predict acciential deletion of files. Its a User responsibility to make backups. :)

Windows Pro Media 8.1 x64  |  8GB Ram  |  500G HDD 7200 RPM  |  All  that I know about my graphics is that it's Intel  :)

I seriously doubt that will happen dude. ;) Sorry, but all PC users need to start learning to backup their computers. That's what needs to happen. It isn't various Programs responsibility to predict acciential deletion of files. Its a User responsibility to make backups. :)

If what you say is correct, then there'd be no point in having a recycle bin at all.

Since most programs put piles of garbage on your machine, I often try deleting files that seem to be using up disk space for no useful purpose. If the program that put them up then refuses to work, I restore them. That is quite separate from backing up, which is obviously important.

Incidentally Norton's NProtect, for all its other faults, does provide timed removal of deleted files.

If what you say is correct, then there'd be no point in having a recycle bin at all.

Since most programs put piles of garbage on your machine, I often try deleting files that seem to be using up disk space for no useful purpose. If the program that put them up then refuses to work, I restore them. That is quite separate from backing up, which is obviously important.

Incidentally Norton's NProtect, for all its other faults, does provide timed removal of deleted files.

There still a point in havinga recycle bin for some I suppose. I personally configured my recycle bin properties to do delete files rather than move them to the recycle bin.

My point is that CCleaner has one purpose and that is clean junk off of your computer. If you don't want CCleaner to clean something (ex recycle bin)...then uncheck the box (for recycle bin) before running CCleaner.

As for Norton...They offer a lot of different services cause it's commercial program and costs quite a bit of money. CCleaner is freeware. ;)

Windows Pro Media 8.1 x64  |  8GB Ram  |  500G HDD 7200 RPM  |  All  that I know about my graphics is that it's Intel  :)

Ccleaner currently has the option to clean (a) all temp files immediately, or (B) clean only temp files that are older than 48 hours.

I personally think that a similar option for the recycle bin could be useful. I do sometimes place things in the recycle bin when I'm not 100% sure if I still need them; things that I know I don't need anymore I delete immediately (without using the recycle bin).