Some files deleted with CC are recoverable!

Trev

Thanks, a great program and an essential tool in the armoury. However one observation noted recently which might be worth comment - I've discovered that many of the files that CC appears to be clearing out are in fact STILL recoverable using a good file recovery tool. Check out the Advanced Deleted File Search option in Search&Recover3 (another great tool - part of the IOLO System Mechanic Professional Suite) to see what I mean.

Trev

I used the simple overwrite ( 1 Pass) which I had thought ought to be sufficient. I'll investigate the other settings but folks should be aware nonetheless. I actually use search&recover to clean up systems that I work on for customers, I don't bother recovering the files (in fact there's a 3 event limit in the trial copy for file recovery anyway) but what I do do is use the Terminate feature which cleans out the deleted file space, it's very good - as I said, you should try it and you will see the extent of what it finds.

I've now tried it with the three pass security delete - and it's the same, there is information which is readable in the cookies and temporary internet files folders AFTER ccleaner has done it's work. It's probably not a big deal, just be aware that's all.

there is information which is readable in the cookies and temporary internet files folders
By any chance do you mean the index.dat files? Those always regenerate immediately after deletion.

The index.dat files are cleared out then Windows creates new ones that are the default size.

Index.dat Suite will also clean out the index.dat files at bootup:

http://support.it-mate.co.uk/?mode=Products&p=index.datsuite

Index.dat Suite cleans out several other Windows temp areas.

I use it about once a week.

I have it set up to clean areas that CCleaner does not clear but I guess it could be set up to do this.

I have been using Index.dat Suite for a long time way before CCleaner became avialble.

"Education is what remains after one has forgotten everything he learned in school." - Albert Einstein

IE7Pro user

By any chance do you mean the index.dat files? Those always regenerate immediately after deletion.

What I'm saying is that by and large CrapCleaner is a fine product and does a very nice job of getting rid of system junk, just as long as you don't get too inquisitive about what is being left behind - which is fine in many situations.

What it doesn't do is a thorough enough job to put one past a more tenacious "undelete" style product.

apparently even using the three pass wipe which doesn't appear to be doing a lot!

Search and recover deleted file search shows old Cookies(names and contents which you thought were long gone!!), Windows Temp and Temp internet folders (with pics etc that are still viewable!) and so on and so on.

:P

What I'm saying is that by and large CrapCleaner is a fine product and does a very nice job of getting rid of system junk, just as long as you don't get too inquisitive about what is being left behind - which is fine in many situations.

What it doesn't do is a thorough enough job to put one past a more tenacious "undelete" style product.

apparently even using the three pass wipe which doesn't appear to be doing a lot!

Search and recover deleted file search shows old Cookies(names and contents which you thought were long gone!!), Windows Temp and Temp internet folders (with pics etc that are still viewable!) and so on and so on.

:P

Hello

I am sorry to intrude here, but I used the CCleaner last night. I have a computer that is running well, but is 1999 build. Of course there are many registry garbage entries.

I have had and removed many programmes over the years and on several occasions lived in fear of deleting what were referred to as common files. "If in doubt, do not delete" is my motto. :rolleyes:

Last night, I saved a backup after the scan. There were 294 items that were "fixed". The computer runs much faster and I thought all was well. What I discovered after the fact was that www.excite.com which wa my personal homepage, now only loads a white page with news icons. I have tried going back into history of last webpages for this website and they also are now this wierd page.

I'm not sure what was deleted as after doing the first 20 or so of the 294 items, I foolishly took it for granted that these were all leftovers of previously deleted programmes.

Now can anyone tell me perhaps what happened and exactly what is necessary to recover/reload the backup file created before the fix.

That done, what is it that I shouldn't have fixed as I will have to go individually through the 294 again?

Thanks in advance.

Gloria

Hello

I am sorry to intrude here, but I used the CCleaner last night. I have a computer that is running well, but is 1999 build. Of course there are many registry garbage entries.

I have had and removed many programmes over the years and on several occasions lived in fear of deleting what were referred to as common files. "If in doubt, do not delete" is my motto. :rolleyes:

Last night, I saved a backup after the scan. There were 294 items that were "fixed". The computer runs much faster and I thought all was well. What I discovered after the fact was that www.excite.com which wa my personal homepage, now only loads a white page with news icons. I have tried going back into history of last webpages for this website and they also are now this wierd page.

I'm not sure what was deleted as after doing the first 20 or so of the 294 items, I foolishly took it for granted that these were all leftovers of previously deleted programmes.

Now can anyone tell me perhaps what happened and exactly what is necessary to recover/reload the backup file created before the fix.

That done, what is it that I shouldn't have fixed as I will have to go individually through the 294 again?

Thanks in advance.

Gloria

I just went to the saved backup file and a screen came up that stated "do you want to add.......(the file) to the registry",,,,,,,it seems this will automatically recover the files. Is this correct.

If so, then do you know of any that caused the above problem by being fixed?

Thanks again

Gloria

• Moderators

Welcome to the forums Gloria. :)

What I discovered after the fact was that www.excite.com which wa my personal homepage, now only loads a white page with news icons. I have tried going back into history of last webpages for this website and they also are now this wierd page.

That was a previous problem with Firefox when Firefox was still running a few or several CCleaner versions ago. However CCleaner now has a warning message/prompt when attempting to run the cleaner with Firefox running, e.g.; it's a big no no.

And restoring the backup .reg file(s) will put the removed "invalid" registry data backup into the Windows registry however what's in the large 'Cleaner' button and large 'Issues' button are completely separate cleaners altogether.