Re-enable Firefox cleaning?

mdw

• Moderators

g'day mdw and welcome,

what is you CC and FF versions?

in CC, under the Applications tab, what options are selected for FF?

Backup now & backup often.
It's your digital life - protect it with a backup.
Three things are certain; Birth, Death and loss of data. You control the last.

• Moderators

so with those options ticked, is CC not clearing FF history for example?

and you aren't using any enhancements like winapp2.ini, or EXCLUDE's?

and (obviously) you aren't in FF still or have any firefox.exe processes running (check Task Manager)?

• Moderators

You, actually, didn't tell ccleaner to skip firefox; you told it not to warn you that firefox is open.  Your firefox skips cleaning because firefox is open or has left something still running.  There is the option to return those warnings in settings (I think it's called "show warnings" but I don't have access to a pc right now).

To stop ccleaner from skipping firefox, though, you'll need to figure out why firefox is still running in background when you use ccleaner.

ADVICE FOR USING CCleaner'S REGISTRY INTEGRITY SECTION

DON'T JUST CLEAN EVERYTHING THAT'S CHECKED OFF.

Do your Registry Cleaning in small bits (at the very least Check-mark by Check-mark)

ALWAYS BACKUP THE ENTRY, YOU NEVER KNOW WHAT YOU'LL BREAK IF YOU DON'T.

Support at https://support.ccleaner.com/s/?language=en_US

Pro users file a PRIORITY SUPPORT via email support@ccleaner.com

• Moderators

look in Options, Advanced, and untick Hide warning messages.

• Moderators

can you attach the contents of you ccleaner.ini file from the Programs File folder?

• 2 years later...

Sorry for this necro but I just had the same thing when I closed that warning message thinking I only disabled the warning itself, when in fact it it will just skip closing FF forever. Weird option if one cannot reverse it. Also careless reading on my part... The advanced option "hide warning messages" was unchecked. Checked it, ran cleaner, unchecked again, ran cleaner didn't solve it.

But to anyone reading this old post for help, just uninstall en reinstall CCleaner, it's the simplest (only?) option.

• Moderators

That is the expected behaviour if you turn off the warning, people would not be happy if CCleaner closed their browser without prompting them first.

However you are correct that it's a bit odd that once the browser warning has been turned off the only way to get it back, without editing the registry, is with an uninstall/reinstall.
(Uninstall/reinstall will reset the relevant registry entry).

If you are confident editing the registry there is a registry setting that you can change.
For Firefox it's "HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Piriform\CCleaner\ShowFirefoxCleanWarning" (values are True or False).

There are a couple of other CCleaner warning messages that act this way, with their own registry entries for warnings rather than the general entry "HideWarnings".
This is presumably to give a bit more control about which warnings will be displayed and which not. (And allow you to set different on/off of warnings for different browsers).

Here's a clip of the relevant reg entries on my laptop (note that the general "HideWarnings" is 1/0 rather than True/False):

image.png

*** Out of Beer Error ->->-> Recovering Memory ***

Worried about 'Tracking Files'? Worried about why some files come back after cleaning? See this link:
https://community.ccleaner.com/topic/52668-tracking-files/?tab=comments#comment-300043