CCleaner always deletes my Remote Desktop Connection credentials...

Hostname

Hello all,

First and foremost, I am new to the forum/community so I would like to start off by saying "hi" to everyone. It's a pleasure to meet you all. It's nice to be a member of a community that has been built around such awesome software.

Moving on, I use the Windows Remote Desktop Connection application to connect to a remote server on a daily basis. Due to the frequency of my use of this application, I allow it to save my credentials (username and password, among other things). I also use CCleaner regularly, and within the Applications tab, under the Windows category, I have disabled any cleaning of the Windows Remote Desktop application.

sxhLebwaTt_TS4scAaQbHQ.png

However, for some reason, every time I run CCleaner, it clears my credentials within Remote Desktop Connection even though I do not have it set to perform this action. What's more, if I analyze what can be cleaned up on my computer before actually doing any cleaning, with the Remote Desktop box unchecked (not activated), the results of the analyzation do not detect any files that will be cleaned pertaining to RDC. On the other hand, if I do check the Remote Desktop box and analyze what can be cleaned, naturally CCleaner returns files for RDC that it will clean up if I leave the Remote Desktop option checked/activated.

I have gone down many avenues trying to find a solution to what's occurring here including but not limited to reading the CCleaner Documentation, researching multiple queries/sources entered into Google, saving the log files of my results of multiple analyzations, and as soon as I signed up here at the forum, I used the Search feature/tool provided within the forum so I could search and see if anyone else has ever experienced this same problem before. I didn't find anyone or anything related to my specific problem, but what's peculiar is I did see threads/posts within this forum where people were having the opposite problem I'm having: CCleaner wasn't cleaning their RDC files when they had Remote Desktop checked/activated and it was supposed to do so.

Furthermore, it obviously isn't the Remote Desktop cleaning option that is clearing my credentials. It's something else I have activated, the only problem is I have no idea what it is, could, or might be. I am running Windows 10 Home Edition. In the following image you can see the results of an analyzation that I just ran less than a minute ago. I guarantee if I proceed and clean up what CCleaner has analyzed, my RDC credentials will be cleared. So it is something in the following list that is clearing my RDC credentials.
E8OyTeLaRJy4eOmy2xnY_Q.png

Does anyone have any idea(s) and/or suggestion(s) on what it might be that's cleaning my RDC credentials, aside from the actual Remote Desktop option itself? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance. :)

Does anyone have any idea(s) and/or suggestion(s) on what it might be that's cleaning my RDC credentials, aside from the actual Remote Desktop option itself? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

I guess you have to untick: Cleaner > Windows > Windows Explorer > Network Passwords.

Credentials are stored in the Windows Vault. And CCleaner deletes the Windows Vault if you enable "Network Passwords"!

Hello, sorry for the delayed response.

Do you see anything obvious if you right click on one of those items in the analyze list and select 'view detailed results''?

No, I have tried this and I never saw anything remotely related to RDC unless I didn't recognize it or overlooked it.

I guess you have to untick: Cleaner > Windows > Windows Explorer > Network Passwords.

Credentials are stored in the Windows Vault. And CCleaner deletes the Windows Vault if you enable "Network Passwords"!

Ah, this is a great suggestion and could very well be the problem. In fact, I'm guessing it is.

I have unchecked 'Network Passwords' and will run CCleaner a little while later on and report back to this thread with an update.

Thanks to the both of you.

I have unchecked 'Network Passwords' and will run CCleaner a little while later on and report back to this thread with an update.

Hello,

I ran CCleaner last night with 'Network Passwords' unchecked/disabled and it was the solution to my problem.

Thank you very much hazelnut and APMichael for your replies. :)