Scanning STILL there after computer SHUT DOWN?

Fia

A friend asked me to install Windows 7 on his external hard drive, without deleting his 600GB worth of content (Hard drive has 1TR space). I had to split his drive in half (One Partition = 800+GB —  Second Partition = 90+GB). I was gonna install Windows 7 on the second one BUT the thing is that I accidentally formatted BOTH partitions and all of his content is now gone. 

I downloaded RECUVA since everybody said it is the best way to recover your lost data and I started scanning, which, honestly, took several hours. 

Now that the scanning is done (708.000+ files found), I’m wondering IF I can turn off my computer and continue with the recovery the next day. Will the scanning results still be there if I turn it off? 

If I recover half of the files today and spend plenty and plenty of time, can I rest my computer system and continue with the rest of the files the upcoming day? 

(Note: I plan to recover everything back to the SAME formatted hard drive - I don’t wan’t my friend to realise and get upset, cause I’m pretty sure he will be.)

Thank you so much for reading! 

• Moderators

No the results would not be saved. Turning the computer off and on will change the recoverablity of some of your data (windows writes files at startup and shutdown, which in turn might overwrite your data).

Recovering to the same drive will also change the recoverability of your​ data. Don't do that

Don't recover all 700k of the files; take time and find the ones you want

ADVICE FOR USING CCleaner'S REGISTRY INTEGRITY SECTION

DON'T JUST CLEAN EVERYTHING THAT'S CHECKED OFF.

Do your Registry Cleaning in small bits (at the very least Check-mark by Check-mark)

ALWAYS BACKUP THE ENTRY, YOU NEVER KNOW WHAT YOU'LL BREAK IF YOU DON'T.

Support at https://support.ccleaner.com/s/?language=en_US

Pro users file a PRIORITY SUPPORT via email support@ccleaner.com

No the results would not be saved. Turning the computer off and on will change the recoverablity of some of your data (windows writes files at startup and shutdown, which in turn might overwrite your data). Recovering to the same drive will also change the recoverability of your​ data. Don't do that Don't recover all 700k of the files; take time and find the ones you want

Oh, I see. Though, the thing is that my computer’s been on for a couple of days and I’m worried that something might happen to it due to overheating or something. 

“...Recovering to the same drive will also change the recoverability of your​ data. Don't do that Don't recover all 700k of the files; take time and find the ones you want.”  

I unchecked most of the files and chose the ones that I really wanted but they’re still a lot of them. I recovered (Still recovering, 8 hours remaining) HALF of the files to the same drive - Does that mean that the other half will be ‘corrupted’? 

• Moderators

Not so cleanly as half being corrupted but chances are a portion will be overwritten before they're recovered.

Do your Registry Cleaning in small bits (at the very least Check-mark by Check-mark)

Everything seems fine after the recovery, the files are recovered. The only problem is that MOST, if not all, of the files have duplicates, triplicates, quadruplicates and so on. It’s gonna take me a while. :/ 

Thank you for your interest! I hope I wouldn’t have to recover everything back to the same hard drive but I have no other choice, sadly. Once I’m done with this story I’ll make sure to tell my friend to always have his data backed up somewhere else. 

• 3 years later...
  • Moderators
11 hours ago, Jia said:

Recuva scanned everything and was showing the results after 14 hours of scanning but the power went off before i could restore the files is the data lost again? what should i do?

You're going to have to rescan

• 4 years later...
On 06/04/2020 at 17:28, Nergal said:

You're going to have to rescan

What about if you loose power mid way through backup? 
my laptop decided to do a windows update and shut the computer down when I wasn’t looking at the screen mid recovery on my second recovery attempt! Now all the excellent files are now show “unrecoverable” I am so frustrated! 7 hours to scan, had around 80% recovery rate on the preview screen which I was content with.

what makes it even more frustrating is the first initial scan and recovery appeared to have saved all the files to the new external HD and showed in the folder, however when I clicked on the folders 95% of the files wouldn’t load. Disconnected the HD to trying on another laptop and when I plugged it back in nothing was showing in the recovery folder :( plugged it back into the laptop I recovered on and still just an empty folder in the external HD.

I hope all is not lost but it isn’t looking promising.

Edited by Mution
Grammar

• Moderators

Certain tasks like when doing disk image backups, and even when using file/disk recovery software should be done only when disconnected from the Internet so nothing else can possibly disrupt it.

1 hour ago, Andavari said:

Certain tasks like when doing disk image backups, and even when using file/disk recovery software should be done only when disconnected from the Internet so nothing else can possibly disrupt it.

Yeah I thought I’d covered all bases but windows update got the better of me and now appears like I’ve lost the data which is extremely frustrating. 

I have no idea why the data never saved on the new external hd after recuva showed the recovery as complete. 

when you recover files to a new Hard drive does it preform a copy and paste action or is it more of a cut and paste action?

I guess what I'm asking is, how many times can you recover the selected deleted files from the recovery location? Im pressuring is a 1 time deal? 

Edited by Mution
Spellings

6 minutes ago, Mution said:

how many times can you recover the selected deleted files from the recovery location?

Recuva itself isn't destructive, it performs only reads from the disk where data is to be recovered, as long as nothing else is able to write to the disk and it is in good shape you should be able to perform unlimited scan → recovery sessions with the same results.

If a drive isn't as reliable anymore repeated recovery tasks may not be possible though, there was another person having trouble not long ago with a drive that was bad, the conversation was a bit long, but I touched on some things over there:

The post limit seems to be rather low here, 4 posts got me to the limit the 11th of June 😭