Reliability of integrity status

Echiumg

I have a hard drive I'm trying to recover data from (not deleted data). The hard drive is actually undamaged and technically perfectly functional, it's just that all of the data I transferred on it from another (both of the same model, a Seagate, and the new one is a warranty replacement of the one I moved data from) is completely inaccessible through normal means, even though the hard drive properties show the space as being occupied by the exact amount I copied over. I ran a 12 hour+ scan with the trial of Seagate Recovery Suite, and it managed to find seemingly every single piece of data as being good integrity. When I called up Seagate support and asked them questions, I noted how many of the files (mainly audio and image files) didn't have previews, and they both initially leaned towards this meaning the data is damaged or unrecoverable, but then both became unsure, but that the lack of a preview means there's a greater possibility for it (though a preview being present coupled with good integrity isn't a 100% guarantee either.)

This has gotten me pretty worried. On the other hand, I've run both Recuva and the trial version of EaseUS on a USB flash drive, and both managed to find all of the photos I recently had on it- photos that I cut and pasted off onto the old drive I transferred data off (which I then wiped), and are now on the new drive where I can't access the data (not that they were gone forever, I had them elsewhere). Despite this drive also not even being plugged in, I got full previews with both programs too. This was really impressive, so I'm wondering that if I could access this kind of data, should I really have any kind of issues with the data on this other hard drive? Should the lack of a preview be any cause for worry, whether on Seagate Recovery or Recuva? I know this is mainly about another data recovery program altogether, but I noticed many files I found scanning my current HD with Recuva showed up as having "excellent" integrity but having no previews, but I imagine for just about all of them, I'd have no trouble accessing (though none of them were image or audio files.) Also, many photos identified as "unrecoverable" have previews, but admittedly, these seem to be previous versions of photos I'm able to recover.

Also, I'm curious how exactly I was able to recover all the photos off the flash drive. Again- I cut and pasted them onto another drive, where they were then moved to another drive, and the drive I originally pasted them onto was wiped (and neither were connected when I did the scan).

• Moderators

The state of Unrecoverable means that all the deleted clusters have been subsequently overwritten; Very Poor means that most have; Poor means that some have; and Excellent means that none have. No software can tell you whether the contents are what you want. I would say that not having a preview (on those file types that should have a preview) is a good indication that the file is damaged.

The file systems on a hard drive and a flash drive are different, and how files are deleted and recovered is very different.

'Despite this drive also not even being plugged in, I got full previews with both programs too. This was really impressive,' - that is impressive indeed.

I don't quite get the gist of what you're trying to say. I don't know whether you have your files or not, or why your data on a good drive is inaccessible.

Well, I was pointed to Seagate's FAQ, and it says this: http://www.seagate.com/services-software/recover/recovery-software/

Why am I unable to preview “good” integrity files?

If your files were overwritten and or are corrupted, the file preview window will not be able to show the file. Make sure files you are wanting to recover are viewable in the preview window before trying to recover them.

But I've noticed something about many of the files/folders I've been unable to recover. I was mainly looking in the general listing for all files of a type (like all mp3 or FLAC files), and I'd see multiple copies or very similar of a file, and all or just one of them would offer a preview. But when I'd track down the directory they were in, the file in there would preview. For example, these are the files at the very top of my FLAC files ordered alphabetically: 2c80c6212ba62c50a15997118b097dc5.png

None of the files for the song "Cold" have a preview. But when I go into the directory I have the song in, it offers a clear preview:
69b38169e4d55a1787c29b7b70e92631.png

This seems to be the case for almost everything so far- files that I find in the listing for all of a single type often don't have previews, but when I track down the file in the directory it was saved in, I encounter no issues. What exactly might this be? Are the files not offering previews previous versions or something?

• Moderators

I noted how many of the files (mainly audio and image files) didn't have previews, and they both initially leaned towards this meaning the data is damaged or unrecoverable, but then both became unsure, but that the lack of a preview means there's a greater possibility for it (though a preview being present coupled with good integrity isn't a 100% guarantee either.)

To test audio files for damage rather they're on a perfectly working hard disk, or recovered from a damaged one I'd recommend having AudioTester (freeware) scan all of them - it's better than guessing or hoping everything is alright.