red to yellow

gunner

I have a question for heads clearer than mine. Why does the red fan wire connect to the yellow power supply molex connection? I do it, but why have a color code that is not followed? I really need to get a life.

If it isn't broke, tweak it.

• Moderators

No idea Gunner, but have just read this on a forum--

guys - no batteries - I've manually attached case fans to molex connectors for years - depends on the fan and what voltage you want it to run it at - most typical case fans off the shelf are 12v but some are 5v or 7v.

Most are 12 volt and I just solder the fan wires then connect into a molex connector in some fashion, where I'm using a splitter, or otherwise.

Molex connectors, yellow is +12v, red +5v, black - ground - you'll short the psu if the two connect so be careful.

If it's a two wire fan connect the black fan wire to one of the black molex wires and connect the red fan-wire to the red 5v molex. If the speed is normal, fine. If it is real slow, try the red-fan on the yellow-molex, but just hold it loose against it. If fan fires up too fast pull the lead quickly - it is probably a 5v or 7v fan.

If anyone thinks I'm wrong on this let me know but I've done it for years

EDIT --- just found an information link on this

http://www.heatsink-guide.com/content.php?...connector.shtml

Support contact

https://support.ccleaner.com/s/contact-form?language=en_US&form=general

or

support@ccleaner.com

Thanks, Hazelnut. At least I now have a guide. Now if I can only figure out why a HD has the green led on the bottom where no one can see it, I will go back to sleep.

If it isn't broke, tweak it.