Opera Cookies

Guest fathermark

Guest fathermark

CCleaner is not finding ANY of the cookies placed on the harddrive while browsing with Opera 8.53

Yet...

I have changed the winapp.ini file default setting for Opera to "True".

I have created the script to make Opera appear in the 'Applications' tab and allow me to clear them or not.

I have made sure that the cookies and cache are not automatically deleated when closing the Opera browser. What's the problem?

Mark

Hi :) Welcome to the forum.

You'll probably need to talk to Andavari, but you can read through this for a little more info if you want to.

Windows Pro Media 8.1 x64  |  8GB Ram  |  500G HDD 7200 RPM  |  All  that I know about my graphics is that it's Intel  :)

• Moderators

If you didn't install Opera into the default location C:\Program Files\Opera that "may" be the reason CCleaner won't clean it using it's default built-in detection routine however since I've never custom installed Opera anywhere else than what the installer suggests that is purely an assumption.

The winapp2.ini entry I created located here is for Opera single users meaning it will only look into: %programfiles%\Opera

E.g.; If you selected to install Opera without multi-user support it will work. If you selected multi-user support you'll have to rely upon CCleaner's own built-in detection, or modify my entry for your user profile, then again a batch file is also a quick and handy remedy to delete the files. Something I just thought of but don't know for sure is if other languages support the variable %programfiles%.

Guest fathermark

After my last post, I uninstalled Opera from the D directory and re-installed it to C. Yes, now, when I click the "Analyze" button to clean, it does show up in the que to be cleaned.

However, I don't want every cookie cleaned out. CCleaner is not "catching" any of the Opera cookies in that place where I can protect the ones I want to keep. It only "catches" the ones used for IE and Firefox.

Why is that?

Also, I don't understand where the option was during installation of Opera with or without "multi-user" support. I took the standard default installation and did not see anything to select a multi-user or single-user functionality.

• Moderators

However, I don't want every cookie cleaned out. CCleaner is not "catching" any of the Opera cookies in that place where I can protect the ones I want to keep.

I don't know of any way to allow CCleaner to not delete particular Opera cookies. Currently that would have to be done with Opera itself by:

1. Click 'Tools->Delete Private Data->Advanced->untick Delete All Cookies' since you obviously don't want all of them removed.

2. Next click 'Tools->Delete Private Data->Advanced->Manage Cookies'

Note: In order to keep your cookies from getting out of hand you should periodically clean them, otherwise you'll be dealing with allot of them manually since Opera will only allow you to delete one at a time in 'Manage Cookies'.

Edit: Forgot to mention: To keep your cookies and only deal with them in Opera you'll have to disable Opera cookie deletion in CCleaner by doing this:

'Cleaner->Cleaner Settings->Applications->Opera->untick Cookies'

Also, I don't understand where the option was during installation of Opera with or without "multi-user" support. I took the standard default installation and did not see anything to select a multi-user or single-user functionality.

I'm using WinXP and the installer has prompted me for a selection since at least the version 7 days of Opera, I don't really remember what version started prompting for multi-user support. If you aren't using WinXP that "may" be why it didn't prompt you to choose which type of installation. In any event multiple people can share a single user browser, you'd just have to separate the bookmarks and keep them neat.

Guest fathermark

Thank you, Andavari.

All I'm wanting from CCleaner is for it to work with Opera the same way it does with IE. In other words, before running CCleaner, ALL the cookies are listed under "Cookies to Delete" [on the left] and we can pick from that list and transfer them to the right side - "Cookies to Keep."

So, if I understand you correctly...in CCleaner -->Options-->Cookies, that only tracks IE, Mozilla, and Firefox cookies and not Opera...right?

Guest Lashiec

Thank you, Andavari.

All I'm wanting from CCleaner is for it to work with Opera the same way it does with IE. In other words, before running CCleaner, ALL the cookies are listed under "Cookies to Delete" [on the left] and we can pick from that list and transfer them to the right side - "Cookies to Keep."

So, if I understand you correctly...in CCleaner -->Options-->Cookies, that only tracks IE, Mozilla, and Firefox cookies and not Opera...right?

Unless Opera changed the format in the upcoming version, it's impossible, since Opera is using a binary format for storing cookies, and not a text one like Firefox, or files like IE.