Registry Backup

mortman

Just installed and ran the CCleaner for the first time. It solved a problem that I've been trying to deal with for over a year. I'm using Win XP Home and all my programs have been running well. Problem was, I could download the many MS patches, etc., but they would never install. Instead, the machine would just lock up and had to be rebooted.

After running CCleaner, suddenly all was right with the world. A zillion security patches, and even SP1 and SP2 installed without a hitch. Microsoft had called in all the kings horses and all the kings men, but they couldn't find a solution for me.

One question: The information I've seen indicates that I can keep a backup of the Registry, yet I can't find where to set that option. Also, where would that backup be saved?

Any help would be appreciated.

Hi mortman and welcome! :)

In the issues section you have a choice to backup the registry items that you are asking to be fixed. If you want something to make a full backup of your registry, I suggest ERUNT.

Windows Pro Media 8.1 x64  |  8GB Ram  |  500G HDD 7200 RPM  |  All  that I know about my graphics is that it's Intel  :)

HI morton. To reply, click the REPLY button next to QUOTE. In some forums you have to hit quote and others reply. Here it is reply ;)

Windows Pro Media 8.1 x64  |  8GB Ram  |  500G HDD 7200 RPM  |  All  that I know about my graphics is that it's Intel  :)

I must be missing something. In the Issues window, all I see is a list of items for Registry Integrity and File Integrity with a checkbox next to each. The only other item is a button to Scan for Issues. Nowhere do I see a place to save the registry prior to cleaning.

I must be missing something. In the Issues window, all I see is a list of items for Registry Integrity and File Integrity with a checkbox next to each. The only other item is a button to Scan for Issues. Nowhere do I see a place to save the registry prior to cleaning.

Ah! Click Scan for Issues. Then click "Fix Selected Issues". Then CCleaner will ask if you want to save a backup. This is where you choose yes or no. If you choose yes, then you save it to a place of your choice. I have a folder names reg backups so that I don't forget where they are.

Ah! Click Scan for Issues. Then click "Fix Selected Issues". Then CCleaner will ask if you want to save a backup. This is where you choose yes or no. If you choose yes, then you save it to a place of your choice. I have a folder names reg backups so that I don't forget where they are.

Further clarification: if you click Yes, Ccleaner will backup the entries that it will remove from the registry. It will not take a full registry backup; for this you will need a tool such as ERUNT, as suggested in an earlier post.

Very sneaky ... hiding that option until after I made the commitment to "Fix Selected Issues". Wouldn't it be better to offer that option before making the alterations? In any case, I Thank you.

Very sneaky ... hiding that option until after I made the commitment to "Fix Selected Issues". Wouldn't it be better to offer that option before making the alterations? In any case, I Thank you.

haha.. :lol: It isn't sneaky, because you haven't committed at that point. This is what happens.

1. You click "Scan For Issues"

2. You then check the items that you want to fix.

3. Then you click "Fix Selected Issues".

4. CCleaner then asks you if you want to backup changes to the registry.

5. Let's say that you answer "Yes".

6. Now CCleaner asks where you want to save the .reg backup, and you choose a place then click "SAVE".

7. After saving the backup CCleaner gives you 3 options. 1. Fix all Issues 2. Fix Selected Issues 3. Close (This is when you make a committment) ;)

8. If you choose "Close" that will cancel the registry fix, but you still have your backup.

haha.. :lol: It isn't sneaky, because you haven't committed at that point. This is what happens.

1. You click "Scan For Issues"

2. You then check the items that you want to fix.

3. Then you click "Fix Selected Issues".

4. CCleaner then asks you if you want to backup changes to the registry.

5. Let's say that you answer "Yes".

6. Now CCleaner asks where you want to save the .reg backup, and you choose a place then click "SAVE".

7. After saving the backup CCleaner gives you 3 options. 1. Fix all Issues 2. Fix Selected Issues 3. Close (This is when you make a committment) ;)

8. If you choose "Close" that will cancel the registry fix, but you still have your backup.

I'm sorry, Step 8 is incorrect. If you choose "Close", that WILL canccel the registry fix, but all you get in the backup file is the Registry Header:

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

Everything else is empty. Nothing is saved in the .reg backup file.

This has been reported before ... many people have asked for an enhancement to create a report of the Found Issues.

I'm sorry, Step 8 is incorrect. If you choose "Close", that WILL canccel the registry fix, but all you get in the backup file is the Registry Header:

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

Everything else is empty. Nothing is saved in the .reg backup file.

This has been reported before ... many people have asked for an enhancement to create a report of the Found Issues.

No need to apologize, you are correct. ;) I didn't open the file to see what was in it (assuming is never a good idea...haha). Thank you for that correction NewScience. :)