Computer Building

kobrakommander56

• Moderators

hmm.. this is really up to you. I dont charge friends and relatives for computer help but I have helped their friends and gotten paid for it. I would suggest asking whatever you think is a fair price and consider how long it will take you.

well i need something constructive.... like 100? 150 cmon i need an idea, I'm not unicef.

Well, I generally charge about $100-200 for labor, but that is totally up to you.

There are a couple different ways you could charge:

1. Count the hours you spend looking up/purchasing parts, building the computer, and installing software/Windows updates, and then pick an hourly wage. For example:

Looking up/purchasing components: 2 hours

Building computer: 2 hours

Installing software/updates: 4 hours

Hourly wage: $15/hour

Total profit: 8hr * $15 = $120

Using this method means that you would make about the same profit for every computer you build, whether low-end or high-end.

The other method for charging you could use is:

2. Get a certain percentage of profit from each component. For example, if you buy a $120 hard drive, and you are making 15% profit on each part, you would get $18 of profit for the hard drive. Do that for all of the components to get your total profit. If you use this method, you may make less money than the other method on low-end computers, but you will make a greater profit on higher end computers. Also, the 15% can be adjusted to whatever amount you want.

You could also do a combination of the two methods listed above, or you could just randomly pick any number that pops into your head. :P

Save a tree, eat a beaver.

Save a tree, wipe with an owl.

Every time a bell rings, a thread gets hijacked!

ding, ding!

Give Andavari lots of money and maybe even consider getting K a DVD-RW drive.

If it's not Scottish, IT'S CRAP!!!

It is all up to you.

But I wouldnt build a computer for a friend, because if something f***s up, then they would blame me. ;)

Imagine a little ESD ? Ouch...

Or some incompatibility, or just that something for some reason dont work or is unstable... =/

firefoxblue4yw.gif

button_b.png hydrogen2nr.png

80x15_3.png

It is all up to you.

But I wouldnt build a computer for a friend, because if something f***s up, then they would blame me. ;)

Imagine a little ESD ? Ouch...

Or some incompatibility, or just that something for some reason dont work or is unstable... =/

You would RATHER build a computer professionally than you would for a friend?!

If you build it for a friend, and something f**ks up, then at least your friend won't freak out on you. At least most of my friends wouldn't. You can just fix it for them, and they'll keep it to themselves, being that they're your friend and all.

But if you build a computer professionally and sell it to someone, and then it fails to operate, not only do you have an angry customer to deal with, but there is also the potential that he/she will defame your name to other potential customers.

Also, as long as you build and secure your computer right, you won't have to lose any sleep over it messing up in the first place. The only thing that could go wrong is hardware, and as long as it is under the warranty, that isn't even an issue, nor is it your fault.

So, kk56, any news on your computer building? How/what did you charge?

ding, ding!

Yeah, or someone gets spyware into their computer because they're retard and start blaming you because "the computer dont work, its slow dude!!"

firefoxblue4yw.gif

button_b.png hydrogen2nr.png

80x15_3.png

Yeah, or someone gets spyware into their computer because they're retard and start blaming you because "the computer dont work, its slow dude!!"

:lol: Heh, yeah, I've dealt with a few of those... :rolleyes:

And then they're always so amazed when I tell them to run their antivirus/antispyware from time to time.

ding, ding!