advice

Grampy Pete

Hello

This is my first post + I hope it is in the appropriate section.

I could not remove a folder from my temp folder until I ran ccleaner-my machine runs much better with no problems so far.

The questions: are there any red flags or warnings re settings so I don't cause a problem or are ccleaner's default settings pretty much what a non tech should be using? How often should it be run?

Thank you

quite an appropriate post. there are a few settings that you could change (even a non tech). first, open up ccleaner and theres the menu with the check boxes. it just depends what you want to delete but i kept my settings the same. running it depends how much you are on your computer. i am on most of the time and i just run it whenever i remember to. usually every other week. speaking of which, im gonna go run it right now...

If you use cookies often (e.g. for logins + passwords), then it is really useful to first configure the cookies you want to keep before you erase them all.

Go to Options -> Cookies. You will see A LOT of cookies on the left side if you have not previously erased them, or a few if you have. You should check them one by one for sites you visit regularly, and where you have to logon (e.g. mail.google.com, or forum.ccleaner.com, etc.). Select the ones you want to keep (one by one, or select multiple by holding down the Ctrl key), and move them to the right side.

The cookies residing on the right side will not be cleaned by Ccleaner.

If you use cookies often (e.g. for logins + passwords), then it is really useful to first configure the cookies you want to keep before you erase them all.

Go to Options -> Cookies. You will see A LOT of cookies on the left side if you have not previously erased them, or a few if you have. You should check them one by one for sites you visit regularly, and where you have to logon (e.g. mail.google.com, or forum.ccleaner.com, etc.). Select the ones you want to keep (one by one, or select multiple by holding down the Ctrl key), and move them to the right side.

The cookies residing on the right side will not be cleaned by Ccleaner.

>>It appeares as though there are no 'dangerous' settings judging from your replies. I will look at the sugestions and I thank you all fro your prompt replies.

Hi Grampy Pete :) Welcome!

The only settings that potentially can be dangerous are the boxes under Advanced.

And always backup your "Fixed Issues", but remember to delete the backups after a few days if you think that you don't need them. Otherwise, you're still keeping the crap on your computer...you just moved it to another place. ;)

Windows Pro Media 8.1 x64  |  8GB Ram  |  500G HDD 7200 RPM  |  All  that I know about my graphics is that it's Intel  :)