New Firefox Alpha & CCleaner

Greenknight

Running Firefox nightly builds, I've found that with the new bookmarks/history system (Places) that's being introduced in 2.0, CCleaner will not clean the history. Since the first alpha version, officially known as Bon Echo 2.0a1, is supposed to come out tomorrow, thought I'd give you all a heads-up.

For anyone who wants to give it a try, let me warn you: it's a major change that's gonna take some getting used to, it's still quite full of bugs, and the UI is a long way from being finished. Unless you really want to be on the cutting edge of testing new software, I wouldn't recommend it.

This is actually not a officially released Alpha version of Firefox.

It is rebranded developement build with or something like that.

firefoxblue4yw.gif

button_b.png hydrogen2nr.png

80x15_3.png

I was about to say that :)

CCleaner can be made to clean anything you like via winapp2.ini. (General warning for anyone tempted to hunt down the exciting-sounding 2.0-branded test builds) If you don't know enough about this release of Firefox & CCleaner to make this happen, you shouldn't be using development builds!

Firefox is great and all that, but only the most recent certified release should be used for anything other than curiosity or testing. Until 2.0 goes gold it *will* have bugs, and possibly security holes, that's just the way dev builds are. By all means check your pages in it, but don't go banking or opening 12 tabs of vital research, just in case...

FF2.0 final might conform to the same file layout and functionality as older versions, but CC looks for specific registry keys or certain files in order to identify apps. Since FF2 didn't exist when the current CC was released (and still doesn't!), you'll need to make your own update or wait for MrG to take the initiative.

And yes, you might well think "I've never had any problems". Fair enough, that may be lucky or just a sign of FF's quality, but running nightly builds explicitly means you are living with developers' half-a-job code when they check in their changes and go home. For anyone who doesn't use test builds, please don't get tempted away from 1.5.0.1 just yet...

It is an official Alpha version of Firefox, and was released today. It's called by it's development name, Bon Echo, just as the Alphas of 1.5 were called Deer Park, to emphasize that it's not a release of Firefox, it's for test purposes only. I'm not asking for help, just passing along some information.

It is an official Alpha version of Firefox, and was released today. It's called by it's development name, Bon Echo, just as the Alphas of 1.5 were called Deer Park, to emphasize that it's not a release of Firefox, it's for test purposes only. I'm not asking for help, just passing along some information.

You might want to read http://weblogs.mozillazine.org/asa/archive...releases_1.html

That's why we were thinking it was not Bon Echo. The rest of us might want to read http://www.mozilla.org/projects/bonecho/ :)

I still think that pre-release software is not something for CC to even notice, since we shouldn't "use" it in the traditional sense of the word.

but good luck if you try to get it CCleaned!

I realize that some sites jumped the gun on announcing the release of 2.0a1, somebody does that every time there's going to be a new Firefox release. But, Eldmannen, you should know me better than that! :lol:

I'm not planning to tweak CCleaner to make it clean the history; Places combines bookmarks and history in 1 .sqlite file, so it's not so simple. In current builds bookmarks.html is still retained, so you can delete the .sqlite files without losing your bookmarks, but I believe that will change before the 2.0 final release. I'll just use the Firefox "Clear Private Data" function until Mr. G makes CCleaner compatible with Firefox 2.0, which is supposed to come out sometime in the 3rd quarter.

<edit> I've since found out that bookmarks.html is not updated in a Places build, so any new bookmarks would be lost if bookmarks_history.sqlite were deleted. All the more reason I don't want to mess with it.