Display Properties: Effects button is disabled

lab

Display Properties menu, Appearance tab: the Effects button not working after running ccleaner.

I am able to invoke the Advanced button on this tab.

I am running winXP Pro-SP2 and ccleaner v1.27, with the defaults checked for cleaner and issues.

Display Properties menu, Appearance tab: the Effects button not working after running ccleaner.

I am able to invoke the Advanced button on this tab.

I am running winXP Pro-SP2 and ccleaner v1.27, with the defaults checked for cleaner and issues.

Hi Lab, and Welcome!

Have you tried rebooting your computer? I have to admit that's very odd. <_<

Hopefully someone else can be of more assistance.

Windows Pro Media 8.1 x64  |  8GB Ram  |  500G HDD 7200 RPM  |  All  that I know about my graphics is that it's Intel  :)

*I deleted this post because the next post is more informative.*

Windows Pro Media 8.1 x64  |  8GB Ram  |  500G HDD 7200 RPM  |  All  that I know about my graphics is that it's Intel  :)

Here! This is much better information. You can download the fix rather than manually making changes. :D

This has to do with a Policy setting made either via gpedit.msc or manually via the registry. The side effects are that Windows and Buttons are greyed out under Desktop Properties/Appearance and the check box under System Properties/Advanced/

Performance/Settings that reads: Use visual styles on windows and buttons, does not remain checked. This edit corrects that behavior. Download and apply either one on line 214, they are the same edit.

To use the Regedits: Save the REG File to your hard disk. Double click it and answer yes to the import prompt. REG files can be viewed in Notepad by right clicking on the file and selecting Edit.

Windows/Buttons Greyed Out under Appearance and/or Windows XP Style Changes to Windows Classic (Line 214) http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/xp_tweaks.htm

Other checkpoints:

1. Right click the My Computer icon/Properties/Advanced/Performance/Settings. Verify that: Use visual styles on windows

and buttons is checked.

2. Windows Explorer/Tools/Folder Options/View. User Common Tasks in Folders.

3. Right click the Desktop/Properties/Appearance. Windows and Buttons choose: Windows XP style.

4. Start/Administrative Tools/Services. Scroll down to Themes and verify that the service is started.

Hope one these things works.

Your suggestion of the Kellys-Korner tweak was excellent (which is a good thing, because I had already verified most of the other checkpoints).

I read through the tweaks and tried one a bit closer to the described condition - #256 on the right side: "Effects Options are Greyed Out - Appearance"

It employs the same strategy as you so clearly explained for #214.

Thanks!

Your suggestion of the Kellys-Korner tweak was excellent (which is a good thing, because I had already verified most of the other checkpoints).

I read through the tweaks and tried one a bit closer to the described condition - #256 on the right side: "Effects Options are Greyed Out - Appearance"

It employs the same strategy as you so clearly explained for #214.

Thanks!

No problem.

Just open the link for "greyed out", and save the page to your C drive. Then double click it to merge it to your registry! I hope that it works. ;)

For future reference, grayed-out display property items can sometimes be solved by Dial-a-fix's policies scanner (if a policy is indeed why it is grayed out).

Click here if CCleaner Issues are re-appearing

DjLizard.net

DjLizard.net wiki

Dial-a-fix

Dial-a-fix tips

DjLizard.net software support forum

Do you live in Bradenton, Sarasota, Tampa, or St. Petersburg, Florida? Visit Digital Doctors where I work :)

For future reference, grayed-out display property items can sometimes be solved by Dial-a-fix's policies scanner (if a policy is indeed why it is grayed out).

Thanks Dj. I found that the policy's can cause the problem, but I didn't find the fix. DAF just fix's everything, huh? ;)

• 1 month later...

G'Day Folks,

Thanks for the info krit86lr and also lab for the specific correction

Quote: "I read through the tweaks and tried one a bit closer to the described condition - #256 on the right side: "Effects Options are Greyed Out - Appearance" = Good One!

My problem was caused by using the "AutoPatcher" and undoing some of the Tweaks I had installed. When I used the "Tweak Undo" (under Tools in AutoPatcher) it somewhat created minor havoc on the system and this (above) problem was one of them. Interesting is that the "Effects" option was or is not greyed out as such, it just did not activate when you clicked on the button, so if was a bit harder to define the error "Effects button not active" -V- "Effects Options are Greyed Out - Appearance" as being the same error.

Kelly is a good fixer reference to have = http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/xp_tweaks.htm for a lot of XP issues - only problem is having to read through all of them to find the specific fix.

BTW: The CCleaner I think is the best since the invention of the "Mouse Trap" B)

Regards

Roger H.