Winamp and Foobar2000 obsolete software keys reappear after every reboot

Loey

Hello,

I recently upgraded to Windows 10. I had to fix a TON of registry junk left over from windows 7 and had 4 that would not go away. I resolved two of them which were related to the Trusted Install registry protection program; however, the other two I can't figure out. They always appear after I run a scan. I delete them, but when I restart the computer they come right back.

I already tried deleting them manually in normal mode and safemode to no avail. CCleaner reports the keys as follows:

Obsolete software key foobar2000 HKCU\Software\foobar2000 Penn
Obsolete software key Winamp HKCU\Software\Winamp Penn

What's funny is that these keys never popped up in Windows 7 and I haven't used Winamp in years. As for foobar, I don't even know what that is. What should I try next?

post-73757-0-52664500-1439844316_thumb.jpg

They can be deleted.  When I run the scan once and delete them, they don't appear again until I restart my computer. I already adjusted permissions and deleted them manually in the registry. The problem is that they keep coming back. I'll try again though. 

• Moderators

If you don't have this software, and the registry entries are indeed being recreated even if you manually delete them within regedit some program you have needs them. This could be as harmless as a third party media program which you are using (iirc both foobar and winamp are open source so are used as the background program for other media programs). This could, however, also be malicious software which hides itself by using those keys. In this case you need to seek proper computer healthcare.

This doesn't, to me, point to an issue with ccleaner as you don't have that software installed so it is indeed an obsolete software.

ADVICE FOR USING CCleaner'S REGISTRY INTEGRITY SECTION

DON'T JUST CLEAN EVERYTHING THAT'S CHECKED OFF.

Do your Registry Cleaning in small bits (at the very least Check-mark by Check-mark)

ALWAYS BACKUP THE ENTRY, YOU NEVER KNOW WHAT YOU'LL BREAK IF YOU DON'T.

Support at https://support.ccleaner.com/s/?language=en_US

Pro users file a PRIORITY SUPPORT via email support@ccleaner.com

• Moderators

Check your program files folder to see if Foobar2000 and Winamp are in them and installed.

Note that other programs that can use Foobar2000 plugins and Winamp plugins can create registry data like that (for instance CDex can create the Winamp key when configuring some plugins it has which are taken from Winamp).

Edited by Andavari

Because you guys kept mentioning plugins and third party media programs. It made me think to look into my last.FM plug-in I installed. I looked into the menu and found that in addition to itunes and Windows media player, it supports Winamp and Foobar2000. The last.fm scrobbler plugin loads at start-up. So I think I found the culprit. 

Thanks guys.