Audio converter

Invictus

• Moderators

You don't have to buy anything, what's listed below is completely free or open source software.

1. Download oggdec v1.9.2.

2. Download LAME 3.97b2, the package that contains lame.exe. Note: It's the best mp3 encoder!.

3. Download ALL2LAME.

4. Unzip ALL2LAME into it's own folder such as C:\ALL2LAME.

5. Unzip oggdec v1.9.2 into the C:\ALL2LAME folder.

6. Go here to find out how to encode at your preferred bitrate/quality. Input that bitrate/quality you want into the ALL2LAME switches area.

7. Add your ogg's into the ALL2LAME window and click Encode.

And since you'll be transcoding ("converting") your audio files I highly recommend that you keep the original .ogg audio files, hence transcoding from one lossy format to another one will cause a loss of quality.

If you need any specific information or help configuring ALL2LAME just ask here and I'll help you.

It is probably a better idea to keep the files as Ogg Vorbis instead of converting them to MP3 if possible.

Because Ogg Vorbis provides better compression and higher quality.

firefoxblue4yw.gif

button_b.png hydrogen2nr.png

80x15_3.png

• Moderators

It is probably a better idea to keep the files as Ogg Vorbis instead of converting them to MP3 if possible.

Agreed!

However I suspect he wants mp3's for a portable player which would make sense, although re-ripping and encoding directly to mp3 from the original CD's would be the best choice to have the best quality mp3's versus hideous transcoding.

I know Ogg Vorbis does a better job than MP3, my problem is that I can only download the needed music in ogg format.

F

rom there I need a way to convert the ogg files to both mp3 and wav.

So far db poweramp is catering my needs, but I do appreciate the alternative way you indicated Andavari.

• Moderators

Yeah my way is probably the slower more involved way of doing it. I just hope dbPowerAmp can copy the tag's from the ogg's into the mp3's so that you aren't having to re-tag everything.