Direct X question

JDPower

Is there anyway to keep the Direct X sound acceleration at anything other than full (in dxdiag)? I keep having to reduce the sound acceleration for a program that gives crackly sound with it set to full but every time I restart the computer the sound acceleration goes back to full again (and I have to reduce it again) :huh:

control panel > sounds and audio devices > (click) "advanced" under speaker settings > (click) "performane" tab

Windows Pro Media 8.1 x64  |  8GB Ram  |  500G HDD 7200 RPM  |  All  that I know about my graphics is that it's Intel  :)

control panel > sounds and audio devices > (click) "advanced" under speaker settings > (click) "performane" tab

Tried that, it still resets to full acceleration after restarting :(

Tried that, it still resets to full acceleration after restarting :(

Control Panel > Audio > Environmental Audio > Options > check "Always save changes"

That might work...

Windows Pro Media 8.1 x64  |  8GB Ram  |  500G HDD 7200 RPM  |  All  that I know about my graphics is that it's Intel  :)

Control Panel > Audio > Environmental Audio > Options > check "Always save changes"

That might work...

Thanks for your help but I don't have an environmental audio section in control panel>sounds and audio :( (I'm on WinXP Home SP2 if that makes any difference)

Thanks for your help but I don't have an environmental audio section in control panel>sounds and audio :( (I'm on WinXP Home SP2 if that makes any difference)

I've been giving you instructions using XP Pro SP2. I don't know if it makes a difference, but lokoike will know because he used Home until a few months ago.

Do you have DirectX 9.0c? It's the feb update. If not you can download here.

Also, how many Sound tabs do you have in DirectX. Are there 2?

What audio software are you using? You should be able to open it from all programs, and make adjustments. ex. SoundBlaster Live

I've been giving you instructions using XP Pro SP2. I don't know if it makes a difference, but lokoike will know because he used Home until a few months ago.

What version of XP you are using and what service packs you have make no difference. Both WinXP Home and Pro come with DirectX 8, which of course, nobody uses anymore anyway. Like K said, make sure you are using the most recent version of DirectX 9c.

Tried that, it still resets to full acceleration after restarting

Did you make sure to Apply your changes before hitting OK? If you don't apply them first, they will remain the same.

Also, the number of sound tabs you have (Sound 1, Sound 2, etc.) depends on how many audio devices you have, so the exact number will differ, depending on your computer.

Save a tree, eat a beaver.

Save a tree, wipe with an owl.

Every time a bell rings, a thread gets hijacked!

ding, ding!

Give Andavari lots of money and maybe even consider getting K a DVD-RW drive.

If it's not Scottish, IT'S CRAP!!!

Did you make sure to Apply your changes before hitting OK? If you don't apply them first, they will remain the same.

Hi, I have DirectX version 9c and downloaded the Feb update that krit suggested too. I tried again clicking apply then OK and it still resets to full acceleration after restarting. I can't find any settings anywhere else to stop this happening :huh:

Hi, I have DirectX version 9c and downloaded the Feb update that krit suggested too. I tried again clicking apply then OK and it still resets to full acceleration after restarting. I can't find any settings anywhere else to stop this happening :huh:

I know that this may sound silly, but will you post a screen shot of your control panel?

In dxdiag > click the sound tab > what is the name of the device controlling the acceleration feature?

You can check this out for now. I'm looking up more information on it right now.

Realtek Configs & Settings That link is dead, disregard.

Do you have the updated driver? http://w3serv.realtek.com.tw/downloads/dla...8&Software=True

"We offer two different types of audio drivers for MS Windows OSes. The WDM driver is for Win98SE or later versions and the VXD driver is for Win98/95. Recommended by MS, the WDM driver had better not be used on Win98. That is why we normally use the VXD driver for Win98 (4.10.1998). If you don't encounter any problems using the WDM driver with Win98, you can keep on with it.

For some reasons, we do not support DirectSound directly in the VXD driver. We just have the DirectSound software emulation layer do it for us. I think that is why you have delay in sounds in DirectSound games. We suggest you to upgrade your OS to Win98SE or later versions. Our WDM driver has more powerful features, such as EAX support, and it will support DirectSound better than the VXD driver.

Our AC'97 CODECs support the SPDIF function on P4B with the WDM driver. With limitation of the MS kernel driver, the Win98SE cannot support SPDIF with AC-3 format without MS QFE269601 installed on Win98SE. If you want to play AC-3 format under Win98SE, QFE269601 should be installed. If you want to play AC-3 format under Win2000, service pack 2 should be installed. WinMe and WinXP can support AC-3 format without any patch files from MS. For Wave (PCM) format, all Windows OSes can be played with the WDM driver."

Okay, so you should have an AC97 audio configuration utility. Maybe it's located in Sound Effect Manager, but I'm not sure.After installing the new drivers go to the Control Panel open up "Sounds and Audio Devices" and

check the setting under "Volume," "Audio," and "Voice" tabs. The Volume menu has settings for "Device Volume" and "Speaker Settings." Click the "advanced" button under device volume and unmute everything then close. Click the "advanced" button under speaker settings and select "monitor stereo speakers" (or whatever is appropriate) and click ok. After checking settings under the Audio and Voice tabs click ok to close the properties menu. Then check the configuration in the audio utility and if there is a mixer loading in the

system tray (notification area) check those properties also.

Always click apply and/or save settings

Krit, you're a star. Installed the new drivers (after a 3 hour download at only 2kb/sec :blink: ) and the direct X acceleration now stays at the level I set it at, regardless of restarts (and it also seems to have improved the crackly sound issue that started me down this road in the first place).

Thats twice in the space of a few weeks you've helped me no end, THANK YOU ;)

Krit, you're a star. Installed the new drivers (after a 3 hour download at only 2kb/sec :blink: ) and the direct X acceleration now stays at the level I set it at, regardless of restarts (and it also seems to have improved the crackly sound issue that started me down this road in the first place).

Thats twice in the space of a few weeks you've helped me no end, THANK YOU ;)

I am so glad that all you needed was an updated driver! :D That issue was driving me bonkers because every solution suggested before that worked on my computer.

I'm glad to have helped. Don't remember a previous time though. <_<

Have Fun!!! That's what matters! :D

I am so glad that all you needed was an updated driver! :D That issue was driving me bonkers because every solution suggested before that worked on my computer.

Well I had reinstalled the drivers I had but according to my PC manufacturers site that was the newest driver available, I never thought to look for a newer one on the Realtek site.

I'm glad to have helped. Don't remember a previous time though. <_<

CV templates? ;)

Thanks again :)