CCleaner 5.01.0575 corrupted my SSD 01/01/2015

ericneo3

My SSD is a samsung pro 512 GB.

I downloaded CCleaner fresh from your website on 04/01/2015 and ran it, first the registry cleaner then the normal cleaner and this was the what I saw when I viewed the free space.

This is a pretty serious bug guys and I see someone else is also complaining about it corrupting their stuff on the forums too.

Anyone have any idea how to fix it without a full reformat?

Update:

The drive shows no error whatsoever in windows or samsung's software except for the volume size, read/writes are fine, health is good, there's no unallocated space or dropped partition either.

• Rebooted - No change
  • Tried system restore - it won't restore due to a disk error most likely related to the problem.
  • Tried to check the driver/firmware to see if it could be re-installed to fix the issue -  no luck either.

Backing up everything I can right now then I'm going to check the MBR/windows integrity, if that fails try a full format.

Update 2:

Checked the MBR and windows integrity while outside of windows and it found no errors and I tried a system restore while outside of windows and got a 0x8000ffff.

I ended up just reformatting and then doing a fresh installation and everything was fine. I managed to get everything off the dive on to the storage drive fine and now I have a fresh install for the new year looking at the bright side, the bug was quite a surprise to me.

What originally caught my eye about this bug was I noticed the free space shown was the exact same as what was free'd up by CCleaner and the drive usually sits with over 100 GB free space.

post-71686-0-43864800-1420345370_thumb.jpg

• Moderators
  • Rebooted - No change

Try something else. Do a cold boot: Shutdown, wait at least 30 seconds, and then start your computer.

Some issues can live through a reboot/restart such as hardware issues, etc.