System Restore Entries Lost

sky3

I have been a satisfied user of CCleaner for several years.

However, today, before running this app, I looked at several tab options . . . in one of them, Tools/System Restore, it showed many entries . . . however, after running the Cleaner and the Registry Cleaner, all of the entries were gone.

What box do I uncheck so that entries under System Restore are not deleted?

Also, any suggestions as to how I can get the deleted ones back at this point?

Once gone, unless you have some separate background image backup program running, you won't get those restore points back. On boot Windows may delete several restore points itself, depending on the space allocated, particularly after it has written a new full System Checkpoint .

Maybe using the Registry Cleaner, particularly if rarely or never done before, might have caused this. But even if it did and you'd made the pre-registry cleaner backup I'm fairly sure restoring that to the registry isn't going to reinstate the restore points.

If this is the case it isn't really a fault either. With certain registry entries gone some restore points might have become redundant and Windows may have automatically deleted them.

Personally, assuming everything seems to be working OK, I create at least one new Restore Point myself every week and before updating or installing any new software. I use the CCleaner Registry Cleaner monthly, always making the prompted backup before 'Fixing' anything. In 4 years using CCleaner I've not had any problem caused by using this regime.      

Hi AA,

Thanks for responding . . . yeah, I kinda figured that retrieval of the Tools > System Restore listing entries was a longshot . . . but I thought that I would ask.

Also, as I understand from another post in this Forum that the restore points listed in CCleaner's Tools option only provide an option to singularly delete them, something that Windows does not, and do not provide an actual path to restoration.*

My main concern is learning which check box is responsible for deleting the System Restore entries provided in the Tools option so that I can uncheck it.

* http://forum.piriform.com/index.php?showtopic=42397&hl=%2Bsystem+%2Brestore&do=findComment&comment=256447

• Moderators

There isn't an option like that. What, likely occurred is that you have wipe free space checkmarked in advanced section of the first (system) tab.

This option fills the drive's empty space with data, then removes it; an unfortunate side effect is it causes the system restore service to trigger a cleanup to give the drive more room. As I understand it, ccleaner then sees this as more freespace, fills it cause windows to react again onward until all SRP are gone.

ADVICE FOR USING CCleaner'S REGISTRY INTEGRITY SECTION

DON'T JUST CLEAN EVERYTHING THAT'S CHECKED OFF.

Do your Registry Cleaning in small bits (at the very least Check-mark by Check-mark)

ALWAYS BACKUP THE ENTRY, YOU NEVER KNOW WHAT YOU'LL BREAK IF YOU DON'T.

Support at https://support.ccleaner.com/s/?language=en_US

Pro users file a PRIORITY SUPPORT via email support@ccleaner.com

If that is the case why doesn't it happen when using the provided Drive Wiper tool? Very occassionally I use that to wipe free space on my C:\drive which sometimes helps with the MFT allocated space which Windows is in the habit of moving around my small HDD resulting in more defragmentation and significant general slow down whilst doing it.  

I've never noticed a loss of any let alone all restore points afterwards.

BTW using CCleaner sky3 it is possible to multi-delete restore points at one time although, no doubt a safety feature to prevent the sort of accidental deletions described, you do have to highlight them all individually. In Tools > System Restore hold down Ctrl whilst doing that and each one will remain highlighted and you'll be able to delete all selected. 

The first restore point is, of course, protected.