ms works to a word document

oli

hi im looking for a software that will turn a works file .wps to something that openoffice will open such as a word document any suggestions.

Open Office will open it as a .xls file. Or you can check 'hide gridline', and copy it to a .doc document (any write document).

Windows Pro Media 8.1 x64  |  8GB Ram  |  500G HDD 7200 RPM  |  All  that I know about my graphics is that it's Intel  :)

if i try and open it gives an error. also i cant alter the file in works cos i dont have it anymore hence the problem.

It should still work. I've done it a number of times after uninstalling Microsoft Works, Word, etc...

What's the error?

Windows Pro Media 8.1 x64  |  8GB Ram  |  500G HDD 7200 RPM  |  All  that I know about my graphics is that it's Intel  :)

• Moderators

Open the file back up in works and then save it as .doc.

Abiword might open it too.(never tried though)

File formats should get better soon since ms will support open file types in the new office!(complete compatibility with openoffice.)

Open the file back up in works and then save it as .doc.

Abiword might open it too.(never tried though)

File formats should get better soon since ms will support open file types in the new office!(complete compatibility with openoffice.)

Actually, they're not willing to support the OpenDocument format but wants to create an own "open" format, called OpenXML or something, if I remember correctly.

firefoxblue4yw.gif

button_b.png hydrogen2nr.png

80x15_3.png

If you know someone who has Word 2000 or 97, there is a Works converter for .wps files that can be downloaded from Microsoft. I don't know if there is converter for newer versions of Word.

You should be able to convert the .wps to a .doc but, for use with OpenOffice, try converting it to a .rtf and see which is better.

That's really strange. Before I installed Open Office I had almost all of my files saved as Works files. Uninstalled and opened all of them with OpenOffice.

Hey, you know what? Right click the file, and click 'Open With' - Choose OpenOffice. You may need to click browse and locate the OpenOffice program. Then tick the box 'open all of these files with OpenOffice'.

You don't need to convert or anything. I've done it on TONS of documents.

OpenOffice will ask you what type of file you want to open is as - choose 'Open Document Text (.odt)'.

i definitely cannot open it in openoffice. i did try a few others things though i download wordviewer 2003 which can open .wps files which did open it but when the counter at the bottom got to 700 pages and the start of the document was yyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy

i decided to close it.

Homer: I never apologise, im sorry Lisa. Thats just the way i am

..........and Make yourself a Great Day! Cheers, Lyle

Keep your software up to date

http://www.dozleng.com/updates/index.php?

im on win 2000 but u still need ms word to use it

I don't know why you can't open that document. I did it last night so that I could write down accurate instructions.

On Microsoft they offer free viewers for Excel, ppt, etc. I'll take a look, and see if there is one for Works. But you shouldn't have to do anything to open that file. I'm really bummed out for you.

:(

Okay, I checked, and they have converter downloads. I'm not sure whether or not you need MS Office to download it, but it will convert Works to Word.

If you can't download the converter try saving the file to a disk (CD, etc..), and opening it from there. If that doesn't work you can open it on another computer (school, friend, library, etc...) and save it in Excel.