Hi my dad needs help

Tasha 75

My uncle advised my dad to download ccleaner which he did from piriform. He is now having terrible trouble with supra saver ads and a brower hijack astromenda.com which appear to have been downloaded at the same time in ccleaner packages (as far as i can work out this is actually a adware bundle from web pick internet holdings limited) i advised him to download & run a scan using malwarebytes which fixed the supra saver issue but not the astromenda. He has uninstalled ccleaner but cannot uninstall ccleaner packages. We have tried everything we can think of, we are not very tech minded & its hard to understand some of the solutions that goole throws up. Can anybody help in very simplistic laymans terms? It's driving him (& me after 3 hours on the phone to him) absolutely potty.

• Moderators

Where did he download CCleaner from?

Why did your uncle think your Dad needed it, was he already having PC problems?

The only safe place to download from really is  Piriform itself (CCleaner maker) and the best safe place is the builds page

https://www.piriform.com/ccleaner/builds

CCleaner does not come bundled with anything apart from offering to install Google Chrome (which you can untick anyway} so I'm afraid your Dad didn't get the adware from installing CCleaner. 

astromenda is really prevalent at the moment and it is quite difficult to help someone over the phone when neither of you is quite sure what you doing.

I would normally not do this but perhaps you could talk him through downloading and using this

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/download/adwcleaner/

Make sure you download the program only and not the sponsored ad above it.

Read instructions for use (don't worry it's easy)

One thing which would also help is to reset the browser home page. You haven't said what browser or Operating System (XP, Win 7 etc) it is.

http://www.howtogeek.com/171924/how-to-reset-your-web-browser-to-its-default-settings/ 

Support contact

https://support.ccleaner.com/s/contact-form?language=en_US&form=general

or

support@ccleaner.com

Thanks for answering :)

He swears he downloaded it from the piriform site, but he's just done a system restore & it appears to have removed it. The supra savers ads are back so told him to redownload malwarebytes as that worked. He has windows vista & tbh the computer would have been thrown out of the window years ago if it was in my house lol. I did try to suggest resetting the browser to default & even did it to my own internet explorer to prove it didn't kill my computer (i use chrome so it wouldn't have bothered me anyway) but he doesn't feel too happy about that option. I think he downloaded ccleaner as his computer is running slower than a sedated sloth.

Cheers again for your help   

• Moderators

If you can, can you give him the link to this forum topic? If so he'll know that he can get free help in removing the malware from his computer.

And if/when he reads this topic for malware removal read forum rule #10 here, it has links to sites/forums that do one-on-one free malware removal and cleaning.

-------------

As far as CCleaner downloaded from the official Piriform.com website installing malware it does not. The only 3rd party components it has ever included if someone downloads the Standard Build is software from Google which can be unticked/disabled/opt-out during installation.