CCleaner has messed up my computer

dcneill

I ran CCleaner and it deleted the recent documents in my Microsoft Excel 2007.  On my Start Menu tab, the recent documents have also been deleted. When I open new documents, the recent documents list is saved in Excel, but do not show up on the Start Menu tab. I have searched for help in Windows and Microsoft and it leads to CCleaner as the problem. Everything that is supposed to be checked in order for the recently used documents to show up are checked. When I search for %AppData%\Microsoft\Windows\Recent\AutomaticDestinations as suggested by Microsoft, it shows that there is no file found, which suggests that there is a corrupted user file.

Everything that is supposed to be checked in order for the recently used documents to show up are checked.

for CCleaner, you need to un-check entries that you want to keep

checking those entries will make ccleaner remove it

Under Windows Explorer, uncheck "Recent Documents" and "Taskbar Jump Lists"

I am so upset...and stupid!  I have been running CCleaner on my Windows 7 without one problem.  Today I decided to run it on my Windows XP drive and it deletef my network and all my drivers!  I have nothing in Device Manager...nothing!  I cannot use my printer, nor get on my network to use it and cannot play my Windows Media to listen to music.  So I say to all out there with Windows XP:  BEWARE, unless you know what you are doing.  I checked my System Restore and it failed...would not allow me to go back to previous dates.  I'm going to live with this but I'm putting this out there so others will be smarter than I was...and messed up my XP drive! 

• Moderators

@Wattsan has a different problem to the OP.

can this thread be split into two so we know what post relates to what.

Backup now & backup often.
It's your digital life - protect it with a backup.
Three things are certain; Birth, Death and loss of data. You control the last.

Also the first time I've heard of anything like that. I use it on an XP machine myself without any problems.

As member Winapp asked, did you use the registry cleaner?

Same here, xp, no CCleaner problems.  Maybe Wattsan has malware?  Wattsan could go here and look at rule #10, get a free checkup. 

The CCleaner SLIM version is always released a bit after any new version; when it is it will be HERE :-)

Pssssst: ... It isn't really a cloud. Its a bunch of big, giant servers.