Cutting Cable With Least Waste - Going Green

TheFiresInTheSky

When running wire, there is always waste. What code or formula could I use to determine the best cuts to make with as little waste as possible? I will need many cuts (100+) and will be using thousands of feet of cable. Cable comes in spools of 1,000ft and the proper cuts could save thousands of feet in waste. Cables cannot be spliced. Python, php, or javascript preferred.

For instance, I need to cut 7 cables and only have 1,000ft spools. Lengths are:

250ft=a

250ft=b

350ft=c

150ft=d

850ft=e

600ft=f

500ft=g

a+b+c+d, e, f would use 3 boxes and would have a waste of 150ft from "e box" and 400ft from "f box".

e+d, f+c, a+b would also use 3 boxes but would have a waste of 50ft from "f+c box" and 500ft from "a+b box".

As you an see, g would be the 4th box from the first example. In the second example, there would be less waste as g could be included in the a+b box.

Not homework. I run a security company and we are currently going green.  We are attempting to go as green as possible.  Yes you are correct, however we are talking about 100 separate cuts and that would be too much to manually compute.  I am hoping someone knows of a code or script that is available for use, or potentially someone really loves coding/programming.  Nobody within our field has any knowledge of such a site or code that will do this.

• Moderators

are we talking cat5 cable?

how will the cables be used?

do you have anyone who knows Excel?

Backup now & backup often.
It's your digital life - protect it with a backup.
Three things are certain; Birth, Death and loss of data. You control the last.

• Moderators

Good Saturday morning reading....

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cutting_stock_problem

or try this

http://www.delphiforfun.org/Programs/Cutting%20Stock.htm

Where there is an exec you can download. I've tried it but it seems to cut multiples where you didn't ask for it. Still, have a go.

Yes this will be cat6, or siamese cable for some camera systems.

augeaus: i have downloaded that program and unfortunately, it does not work properly on my end either. 

http://www.optimalon.com/length_cutting_excel.htm

this software works perfectly however, it is limited to only 10 inputs unless purchasing for $97.

• Moderators

Looks good, and (I would have thought) soon saves $97, if you are doing this sort of thing all day .I guess it solved the original problem with 7 inputs? If so, what was the solution?

• Moderators

out of curiosity, do you not have a problem running the cat6 at lengths > 100m ?  (or in your terms 330 feet)

• Moderators

did you use that cable for network data?

although they don't actually say it wouldn't work, you run the risk of packet corruption due to the increased length.

it would also depend on the quality of the network hardware too.

if you are using the cat5/6 for anything else (CCTV, analogue phones etc) I guess the potential limitation wouldn't apply.