ccleaner should delete empty-keys in uninstall-key !

andreasm

If I go to key

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall ,

I see some empty, unnecessary keys which are left over from previous uninstallations.

So these keys could and should be deleted! They also slow down the "Start" -> "Control" -> "Software" list...

Just try it, you'll see it...

my private homepage www.energie-bewusstsein.de - stop wasting energy!

If I go to key

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall ,

I see some empty, unnecessary keys which are left over from previous uninstallations.

So these keys could and should be deleted! They also slow down the "Start" -> "Control" -> "Software" list...

Just try it, you'll see it...

I agree. I found 1 entry in that directory, and about 9 entries simply under HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\. One of the items I removed was never actually even installed! I simply put the installer disk in and it auto-started, and then I cancelled it right away!

Good find, would definitely be nice if this was cleaned out.

Save a tree, eat a beaver.

Save a tree, wipe with an owl.

Every time a bell rings, a thread gets hijacked!

ding, ding!

Give Andavari lots of money and maybe even consider getting K a DVD-RW drive.

If it's not Scottish, IT'S CRAP!!!

I agree. I dont want empty unnescesary key there, because it just is bad for privacy for other apps or people to know what software I have previously had installed.

firefoxblue4yw.gif

button_b.png hydrogen2nr.png

80x15_3.png

I agree. I dont want empty unnescesary key there, because it just is bad for privacy for other apps or people to know what software I have previously had installed.

Yeah, that's a good point: privacy could be a concern as well. I mean, lets say that you went and paid money for a program like Microsoft Office 2003. And then, half a year later, you found out about OpenOffice.org 2.0.1, and you immediately uninstalled MS Office and replaced it with OpenOffice.

But later on, you find out that someone hacked your computer, and the entries for MS Office were still there, and they found them! You would be the laughing stock of hackers for at least a month! And that would be just terrible.

So I agree, these entries definitely have to go, and integrating that functionality into CCleaner would make it that much better.

Save a tree, eat a beaver.

Save a tree, wipe with an owl.

Every time a bell rings, a thread gets hijacked!

ding, ding!

Give Andavari lots of money and maybe even consider getting K a DVD-RW drive.

If it's not Scottish, IT'S CRAP!!!

Exactly!

And when I uninstall something, I expect it to be fully removed with no trace of it ever being installed. What I have had installed on my system is none of anyones business besides me, and it should not be possible to find out.

firefoxblue4yw.gif

button_b.png hydrogen2nr.png

80x15_3.png

After you un-install anything Norton (Symantec) then start up regedit and do a find on Norton then be prepared to be amazed at the junk left over.

Repeat for Symantec

"Rinse, lather then repeat as necessary"

Download and install ERUNT and NTREGOPT:

http://www.larshederer.homepage.t-online.de/erunt/

Keep your security software up to date by viewing the announcements at Calendar of Updates