Reset Bios

krit86lr

How does one go about resetting BIOS?

Reseting, or flashing a new version? To flash a new version, you'll have to download the newest version onto a floppy, restart, and install it that way. You'll have to get the newest version from the website of whomever wrote the BIOS. If you aren't sure, restart and view your BIOS (the company's name should be listed somewhere), or look in your motherboard hand-book.

If you meant change it to its default settings, you'll have to go into it (the BIOS) and look around. I have never used a BIOS that didn't have a default settings option, so it should be there somewhere...

Save a tree, eat a beaver.

Save a tree, wipe with an owl.

Every time a bell rings, a thread gets hijacked!

ding, ding!

Give Andavari lots of money and maybe even consider getting K a DVD-RW drive.

If it's not Scottish, IT'S CRAP!!!

Reseting, or flashing a new version? To flash a new version, you'll have to download the newest version onto a floppy, restart, and install it that way. You'll have to get the newest version from the website of whomever wrote the BIOS. If you aren't sure, restart and view your BIOS (the company's name should be listed somewhere), or look in your motherboard hand-book.

If you meant change it to its default settings, you'll have to go into it (the BIOS) and look around. I have never used a BIOS that didn't have a default settings option, so it should be there somewhere...

There's a hand-book? I need one of those. Yes I mean resetting it. Someone said there's a switch, but I'm not sure where that would be. Maybe if I got a hand-book there would be a picture. :)

I'll get a handbook tomorrow. Thanks.

Windows Pro Media 8.1 x64  |  8GB Ram  |  500G HDD 7200 RPM  |  All  that I know about my graphics is that it's Intel  :)

There's a hand-book? I need one of those. Yes I mean resetting it. Someone said there's a switch, but I'm not sure where that would be. Maybe if I got a hand-book there would be a picture. :)

I'll get a handbook tomorrow. Thanks.

Well, if you had bought the mobo separate, it would have come with a couple books, most likely. At least one.

Yeah, picutures are always nice. :) Oftentimes easier to figure out than all of that USB/PS2/Jumper/Master/North Bridge crap.

And I don't think that you would need to change any jumper settings (or switches) on the board to reset your BIOS. I have never used any mobos like that (although that doesn't mean they don't exist).

Who makes your BIOS (boot into it to check)? Alot of BIOS writers use the same form, so maybe if you knew what it was, I could tell you what to do with your particular model.

ding, ding!

Well, if you had bought the mobo separate, it would have come with a couple books, most likely. At least one.

Yeah, picutures are always nice. :) Oftentimes easier to figure out than all of that USB/PS2/Jumper/Master/North Bridge crap.

And I don't think that you would need to change any jumper settings (or switches) on the board to reset your BIOS. I have never used any mobos like that (although that doesn't mean they don't exist).

Who makes your BIOS (boot into it to check)? Alot of BIOS writers use the same form, so maybe if you knew what it was, I could tell you what to do with your particular model.

AMIBIOS American Megatrends, Inc., Version 0.7.00.xx

:P

Windows Pro Media 8.1 x64  |  8GB Ram  |  500G HDD 7200 RPM  |  All  that I know about my graphics is that it's Intel  :)

AMIBIOS American Megatrends, Inc., Version 0.7.00.xx

:P

Yeah, that's a very common BIOS maker. And what do you know, right now I don't have access to a computer with it! :angry:

However, I did just do some work on a friend's computer (installed Linux for him; new experience for me :) ), and he has AMIBIOS too, so tomorrow, I'll look at his and tell you what to do. Unless, of course, by that time you have already figured it out yourself. :D

ding, ding!

Yeah, that's a very common BIOS maker. And what do you know, right now I don't have access to a computer with it! :angry:

However, I did just do some work on a friend's computer (installed Linux for him; new experience for me :) ), and he has AMIBIOS too, so tomorrow, I'll look at his and tell you what to do. Unless, of course, by that time you have already figured it out yourself. :D

Thanks Rock Star!

Thanks Rock Star!

Rock Star? My poor head is confuseled... :wacko:

ding, ding!

Okay, krit86lr, bring up your BIOS, and try to find an option called "Load BIOS Defaults" and "Load Settings Defaults" (should be F6 and F7, respectively). Your version may have it phrased slightly differently, but it should be something along those lines. Perform both, and then restart the computer. Everything should be reset.

And hows come I'm a Rock Star? I mean, I'm honored and all, but... a bit confuseled, no less.

ding, ding!

Okay, krit86lr, bring up your BIOS, and try to find an option called "Load BIOS Defaults" and "Load Settings Defaults" (should be F6 and F7, respectively). Your version may have it phrased slightly differently, but it should be something along those lines. Perform both, and then restart the computer. Everything should be reset.

And hows come I'm a Rock Star? I mean, I'm honored and all, but... a bit confuseled, no less.

I call people Rock Star when when I'm pleased or impressed with something that they do. It's a silly compliment. And in this case a thank you too.

Even though my computer isn't beeping at me anymore (thank God) I'm still getting a lot of errors relating to my BIOS settings, and the MS's instructions are way too high maintenance. I knew that there had to be an easier way.

Thanks again Rock Star!!

Ahhh... well in that case, thank-a you-a!

And glad it helped.

ding, ding!

DO NOT try to update/flash your bios. That is one of those things that if something goes wrong you will have a serious problem getting the machine to work again.

Will resetting it cause any problems?

An update changed the settings, and the settings are causing a lot of Warnings and Errors: Service Control Manager, DHCP Client Service, NetBois over Tcpip servie, Explorer. exe, Internet & Network Config's are all changed to improper settings, and the list goes on.

Microsoft: Systems that have changed the default Access Control List permissions on the %windir%\registration directory may experience various problems after you install the Microsoft Security Bulletin MS05-051 for COM+ and MS DTC

The following COM+ event may be logged in the event log if the Network Service account does not have the correct permissions:

The following EventSystem event may be logged in the event log if the Network Service account does not have the correct permissions:

HTTP 500 - Internal server error Internet Explorer

Does this mean that I can't customize my permissions anymore. If so, this update blows, and now I want the uninstaller :(

DO NOT try to update/flash your bios. That is one of those things that if something goes wrong you will have a serious problem getting the machine to work again.

Well, normally I wouldn't recommend it, but sometimes you have to. For example, I know a guy who bought a mobo that supported dual-core procs, but for some reason, the BIOS was set to only recognize ones with a single core. After he updated to the newest version, his dual-core proc worked fine.

Also, in the event that the particular version of the BIOS you are using may have some bugs, you might need the latest version to rectify them. That said, you are correct that if something goes wrong during the update process, your mobo is basically toast, since the BIOS governs it. You either have to re-chip it, or ditch it. Not fun...

ding, ding!

if you want to reset bios here is manual:

on your motherboard there is battery ( ithink it is 5v but i'm not sure)! next to battery there is jumpers (3 pins but there is one "connector" which is connecting only 2 of 3 pins) ;). Tou need to get off battery and remove the jumper from pins (from that pins next to the battery)... After 30 mins to 1 hour your bios is reseted and than you can put back battery and jumper

m.p. my poor english :(

if you want to reset bios here is manual:

on your motherboard there is battery ( ithink it is 5v but i'm not sure)! next to battery there is jumpers (3 pins but there is one "connector" which is connecting only 2 of 3 pins) ;). Tou need to get off battery and remove the jumper from pins (from that pins next to the battery)... After 30 mins to 1 hour your bios is reseted and than you can put back battery and jumper

m.p. my poor english :(

It is easier to use the software method I mentioned; just hit F6 and exit, saving changes. No need to wait an hour!

And also, are you sure that draining the battery resets the BIOS? I know that will reset your time, ect., but your BIOS is ROM, not RAM, so it does not require power to keep its settings. Are the settings saved on RAM (not main system RAM, of course), or are they actually saved on the BIOS ROM chip? You may be right too, I'm not sure; just curious. Either way, waiting for your board to drain is a pain!

ding, ding!

And also, are you sure that draining the battery resets the BIOS?

Positive (my friends told me)! I didn't try (i keep myPC in extra form) and i'm for software reset (as you sed) but i just mentioned it...

Either way, waiting for your board to drain is a pain!

i know but that is one solution :D

Positive (my friends told me)! I didn't try (i keep myPC in extra form) and i'm for software reset (as you sed) but i just mentioned it...

Thanks! That is good to know, in case I ever work on a board that doesn't have a software reset.

ding, ding!

Had to reset my bios.Find the three pins marked JP1.There should be a sleave covering the top and middle pin.

Slip it off and cover the middle and bottom pins for 10 secs leaving the battery in place the whole time.

Anyway,that's what I had to do.Hopefully may help.