Reoccurring registry entries

pegas

Hi,

Have anyone noticed the following reoccurring registry entries (unused files)? They're reappearing in every registry scan.

HKCR\.3fr
HKCR\.arw
HKCR\.cr2
HKCR\.crw
HKCR\.dng
HKCR\.kdc
HKCR\.mrw
HKCR\.nef
HKCR\.nrw
HKCR\.orf
HKCR\.pef
HKCR\.raf
HKCR\.raw
HKCR\.rw2
HKCR\.sr2
HKCR\.tga
HKCR\.webp
HKCR\.x3f

I am not sure but it somehow could relate to Picasa update. I know that I can exclude them but I rather want to resolve this issue. Any help?

Thanks & regards.

Acer TravelMate P645-MG, Intel Core i7 4500U 1,8GHz with Turbo Boost up to 3GHz, 12GB RAM, SSD 256GB, AMD Radeon HD 8750M with 2GB, Windows Pro 64 8.1

• Moderators

i can recognise about three quarters of those extensions and they all relate to image files, so as you suggested some 'image software' is putting them back either through an update or simply when it is used again.

Backup now & backup often.
It's your digital life - protect it with a backup.
Three things are certain; Birth, Death and loss of data. You control the last.

Thank you both. Does it mean that I can do nothing than exclude them?

Acer TravelMate P645-MG, Intel Core i7 4500U 1,8GHz with Turbo Boost up to 3GHz, 12GB RAM, SSD 256GB, AMD Radeon HD 8750M with 2GB, Windows Pro 64 8.1

Hi, pegas. 

There is a way to keep them from showing in CCleaner if that's what you want to do. 

If you right click on an individual entry in the Unused File Extensions list, you have the option to Add to Exclude List.

If you do that, that entry will disappear from the Unused File Extensions list. 

If you want to put that extension back on the list, navigate to Options and click on Restore Defaults.

The CCleaner SLIM version is always released a bit after any new version; when it is it will be HERE :-)

Pssssst: ... It isn't really a cloud. Its a bunch of big, giant servers.

Hi, pegas. 

There is a way to keep them from showing in CCleaner if that's what you want to do. 

If you right click on an individual entry in the Unused File Extensions list, you have the option to Add to Exclude List.

If you do that, that entry will disappear from the Unused File Extensions list. 

If you want to put that extension back on the list, navigate to Options and click on Restore Defaults.

Thanks login123 for information.

However I meant if there is something I can do to prevent reoccurrence of the entries. I know how to hide (exclude) them and I already have done it. I want to solve this issue for good.

OK.  Wasn't sure what you were looking for.  I've no idea how to keep them from being recreated in the registry. 

If you use a software (Picasa??) that depends on them for cataloging pictures or something, it might not be a good idea to remove them? 

Unless they are causing a specific problem, the mere existence of those 20 or so entries won't slow you down. 

The CCleaner SLIM version is always released a bit after any new version; when it is it will be HERE :-)

• Moderators

agree with @login123, having those entries in the Registry will make diddley-squat difference to any performance indicator.

and the only way to remove them for good is to find out how they are appearing.

if it turns out to be Picasa but you use Picasa then you are between a rock and a hard place.

remove them, run a program until they reappear then decide if you want that program or can substitute it for something else that doesn't go and make registry entries (but they all will, just a question of how much)

Backup now & backup often.
It's your digital life - protect it with a backup.
Three things are certain; Birth, Death and loss of data. You control the last.

Maybe a clue here:

http://www.filehippo.com/download_picasa/

It says: 

"Picasa is software that helps you instantly find, edit and share all the pictures on your PC. Every time you open Picasa, it automatically locates all your pictures (even ones you forgot you had) and sorts them into visual albums ... "

Many thanks folks for all your hints.

Yes, I use Picasa and the said registry entries were starting to show up only after the latest Picasa update. It's worth noting that deleting these entries makes no problem whatsoever and they are recreated automatically (and found by CCleaner). I have tried it more than twice and no problem observed. So I will keep them in the Exclude List until Google issues another Picasa update which hopefully will resolve this issue because as I said this problem started only after the last update.

Usually when you install image software, there is a section during the installation that asks you to checkmark which file extensions you want to associate the program with.  You may try excluding them during the installation and see if that helps prevent the recreation.

Windows Pro Media 8.1 x64  |  8GB Ram  |  500G HDD 7200 RPM  |  All  that I know about my graphics is that it's Intel  :)

I found all of those file extensions in my registry and this is how they were associated.

3fr - Picasa

arw - MS Photo Manager & Picasa

cr2 - MS Photo Manager

dng - Software Classes (have not identified associated software yet)

kdc- Software Classes (have not identified associated software yet)

mrw- MS Photo Manager

nef- MS Photo Manager

nrw- MS Photo Manager

orf- MS Photo Manager

pef- MS Photo Manager

raf- MS Photo Manager

raw- MS Photo Manager & Picasa

rw2- MS Photo Manager

sr2- MS Photo Manager

tga- Picasa

webp- Picasa

x3f- Picasa

Edited by krit86lr

Windows Pro Media 8.1 x64  |  8GB Ram  |  500G HDD 7200 RPM  |  All  that I know about my graphics is that it's Intel  :)

It seems that the issue has been resolved by ticking (associating) all file types in Picasa settings.

Anyway thanks to all for valuable inputs.  :)