Files that CCleaner doesn't get.

inojim

I'm running Vista/64 on an accessible computer and have CCleaner set to wipe all cookies and history. Furthermore, under CCleaner\Options\Include I have added: C:\Users\(name)\AppData\Local\temp\*.* However, when I navigate to that location and disable 'Hide protected operating system files (Recommended),' I see Cookies\index.dat and History\index.dat files naming sites I've recently visited. Shouldn't these be safe to purge, and shouldn't CCleaner be wiping these out, or do I have my syntax wrong? Thanks!

Hi, DennisD, and thanks. Yes, indeed, I have that box checked. Is CCleaner denied access to those "Protected Operating System..." files? After posting, I cleaned and investigated once again, and those files with URLs, etc. are still there. Again, they don't show up unless you uncheck the box under Tools\Folder Options\View\Hide protected operating system files(Recommended).

Thanks, Andavair, but CCleaner just doesn't do a thing to those files. In fact, I directed CCleaner to the very index.dat files I'm concerned about, creating a specific path to each one, then ran CCleaner again. Opening the index.dat files with Notepad afterward, all the entries were still there, untouched. Some appear to come from pop-ups on certain sites, URLs that I never went to in my life. Gotta find a way to get in and clean those. Many programs advertised on the Web purport to address these index.dat files, but I have tried a couple of alternatives to CCleaner now, and none of them touch that data. Gee, I wonder if I could plug my hard drive into some old DOS machine and get to those files that way; at least Windows woulnd't be locking them then. Sheesh!