v4.01 deletes Firefox bookmarks

I just installed CCleaner v4.01.4093 (64-bit) and ran it, and it deleted all the bookmarks from the book marks menu in Firefox v14.0.1

I'm running Windows 7 64-bit and CCleaner's firefox options were to clean Internet cache, Internet history, cookies (with a few exceptions to keep), download history, and session, but NOT site preferences, saved form information, saved passwords, compact databases.

A little experimentation suggests that CCleaner is not the problem. It works fine on my other PC (same configuration).

On the "broken" one I restored an earlier version of the Firefox profile, but it seems to be corrupt - the history list does not get updated when I visit a new site.

So I re-created the Firefox profile, re-imported the bookmarks, surfed the web a bit (history list gets written correctly), then re-ran CCleaner, which now behaves correctly - deletes the history and cookies (other than exceptions), but does not delete the bookmarks.

So it's all good now. CCleaner keeps its reputation as robust and useful software!

By the way, the reason I'm using "so old version of Firefox" is that the newer versions don't have any features that I want - only bells, whistles and bloat that I don't. That seems to be the way with an increasing number of software packages these days - the newer versions are not necessarily better, and sometimes are worse, than the older versions. CCleaner is one of the few that I'll upgrade regularly.

By the way, the reason I'm using "so old version of Firefox" is that the newer versions don't have any features that I want - only bells, whistles and bloat that I don't. That seems to be the way with an increasing number of software packages these days - the newer versions are not necessarily better, and sometimes are worse, than the older versions. CCleaner is one of the few that I'll upgrade regularly.

Why not try Palemoon which is based on the latest Gecko engine with security fixes, but excludes all the useless Bling that Firefox is festooned with.

http://www.palemoon.org/#

Palemoon uses different paths so you can retain Firefox whilst trying out.

• 3 weeks later...

I have a variation of this fault with versions of CCleaner subsequent to 4.0, Firefox 21.0, and a 32-bit machine. One or two folders of my Firefox bookmarks get corrupted. I don't get the fault with CCleaner 4.0. I am using Windows XP SP3 Home edition.

• Moderators

Please run debug as prescribed at the top of this forum board (ccleaner bug reports) and attach a log where-in the corruption occurs

thank you :)

ADVICE FOR USING CCleaner'S REGISTRY INTEGRITY SECTION

DON'T JUST CLEAN EVERYTHING THAT'S CHECKED OFF.

Do your Registry Cleaning in small bits (at the very least Check-mark by Check-mark)

ALWAYS BACKUP THE ENTRY, YOU NEVER KNOW WHAT YOU'LL BREAK IF YOU DON'T.

Support at https://support.ccleaner.com/s/?language=en_US

Pro users file a PRIORITY SUPPORT via email support@ccleaner.com