Internal update system

himion

I have been using CCleaner for years now and one thing that I have always expected to be included by now is an internal update system. I'm sure that there is a legitimate reason why there isn't one but if there isn't it would be nice for users who want CCleaner to run and update itself automatically.

Himion, I'm sure you already know, but you can set CCleaner to check for updates.

I just tried it for the free and the portable versions.

Options > Settings > "Automatically Check for Updates to CCleaner".

You just have to tell it to go ahead and update.

Some folks prefer to have that extra confirmation step in there anyway.

The CCleaner SLIM version is always released a bit after any new version; when it is it will be HERE :-)

Pssssst: ... It isn't really a cloud. Its a bunch of big, giant servers.

• 2 weeks later...

Many of us do not want any automatic updating done without our explicit permission and therefore knowledge.

That there is an option to search for updates is enough.

If any action is taken to add an automatic updating ability there must be an options to disable it.

Part of the reasoning is to allow people on a traffic limited connection to update only when they want and have enough allowance available. Plus there are network speed limitation to consider as not everyone has access via a fast and/or unlimited broadband connection. Similarly, some systems are used for time-critical activities and these must never be disrupted by processor time being taken to run an download and install of any new software or versions until the critical task is completed. Further, our experience with other software venders' "automatic" systems has meant having to remove unwanted software and undo some major changes - which should be totally unnecessary and wastes loads of productivity time.