Defrag LOCKS W7 with SSD connected to XpressPCI

k_c_m_o

I have used Defrag for a long time so I'm not a new user. I have the latest W7 64 bit version.

I have a SSD as my boot drive. Defrag worked fine when the SSD was connected to the motherboard.

In order to use ATA 6mb I installed an XpressPCI Serial ATA card and connected the SSD.

Now when I start Defrag it LOCKS UP W7 -totally-!

I have never had ANY program lock W7 to the point that all I can do is POWER OFF.

LOGGED ERRORS:

#1=The device, \Device\Scsi\asahxp641, did not respond within the timeout period.

#2=The driver detected a controller error on \Device\Harddisk3\DR3.

Windows Defrag works OK, I don't have any problems with any other program.

I booted from a HD with the SSD as a secondary drive and it still locks up W7.

Windows Defrag works OK, I don't have any problems with any other program.

That seems unlikely because by default Windows 7 will not defrag any SSD - because SSD do NOT benefit from defrag like an HDD and SSD life is degraded by defrag.

Sorry, but you are incorrect.

In a CMD prompt I envoked DEFRAG and it runs quite well on an SSD if you are inclined.

The ONLY reason I did was to see if it would run where Defrag would not, it did.

BUT - even though W7 WILL defrag a SSD I figured something was wrong with the adapter or drive.

After investigaing and downloading the driver from the mfgr web site ( IOCREST.COM ) I found the WRONG DRIVER was loaded by WINDOWS 7.

I did a Windows Device Driver DRIVER UPDATE and pointed to the supplied disk, and -WINDOWS 7- updated it with an XP DRIVER.

I had to manually update the driver after deleting the XP driver.

WHY everything else, even drive utilities, ran OK, I don't know.

The adapter is a PCI-eXpress SATA III PEX40039 with an Asmedia chipset.

Even thought I do not use Defrag for the SSD, it will now load and run on it or the other drives without W7 LOCKING UP.

Is your drive a fully SSD, or HDD with SSD bootable partition (Hybrid drive)?

Glad you got the problem fixed though. Reminds me of the days when they used to have audio cards with PATA connectors to add other drives.

I actually had to use one before on an older machine after I ran out of slots for my audio/video/internet/other cards.

Sorry, but you are incorrect.

In a CMD prompt I envoked DEFRAG and it runs quite well on an SSD if you are inclined.

Correction

I was correct.

Launching CMD.EXE and invoking DEFRAG is not a default Windows action,

just as Launching CMD.EXE and invoking DISKPART and shrinking partition C:\ is not a default action.