No more silent extentions installs on Chrome

hazelnut

• Moderators

I noticed with Comodo Dragon when I had it recently that it's impossible for any extensions to be installed from anywhere other than the official Chrome store.

I don't know, but wouldn't that have prevented silent third party extension installations?

And if yes, why can't Chrome itself be configured that way. The option to uninstall these sneaky additions seems to be a move too late. After the stable door sort of thing.

Dennis, I have not tried Chrome to be sure, but I used to think that Firefox had to install extensions off the web.

But I found out you can save .xpi files & drag them onto Firefox, or even FF shortcut & it presents the install window.

_____

I had the idea that perhaps I can create a self extractor that extracts a .xpi file directly to %programfiles%\Mozilla Firefox\Firefox.exe to see if that triggers FF to install it.

Also had the idea of monitoring the %appdata%\Mozilla\Extensions folder as well as a few key other areas to make an auto installer for certain extensions.

When I get time, I will definitely test these to see what happens. Don't suppose the Chrome extensions work the same way, do you?

_____

If you need Adblock, ForecastFox, etc., you can save to your flash drive a shortcut with relative path to your Firefox.exe in the Program File folder, and a copy of whatever .xpi file you need to install. Drag & drop the .xpi file onto the FF shortcut, & voila! No need to redownload it.

To save FF .xpi files, simply right click/save on the installation link (instead of left click).

I could be wrong, but am thinking that perhaps Chrome works very similar.

Very interested in testing my theories later.

Edited by DennisD
Pre-edited post restored.

• Moderators

Super Fast, without seeming to be rude, the only part of your post which has anything to do with this topic was this bit ...

Dennis, I have not tried Chrome to be sure,

That's it. There's nothing else relative to this topic.

The rest is about Firefox and your ideas on how to install Firefox extensions in different ways.

This topic is purely about third party programs being able to silently install extensions into the Chrome browser without the users knowledge.

I really can't see anywhere where I asked for advice on how to get around Chrome based Comodo Dragons very sound policy of allowing extensions to be installed only from the Chrome Web Store, nor indeed can I see any mention of needing advice on installing Firefox extensions.

Please, please, stop posting stuff which has nothing to do with a topic, is purely about your opinions and suggestions, and please don't post your theory or testing results in here, or anywhere else for that matter.

And please don't respond with anything which isn't to do with the subject matter in hazels link.