Defraggler's File Exclusions

Asphyxium

I was wondering if anyone can please tell me whether DF is excluding system files during a defrag.

The reason for this is I have created a Preinstallation Environment disk with DF on it and want to know whether I'm wasting my time or not.

A PE is a stripped down version of Windows that exists on a ramdisk (virtual hard disk stored in RAM). It is from where Windows installs and, when a custom PE is made, allows you to do advanced virus scans that can remove rootkits and potentially allow you to defrag files normally impossible to touch even in safe mode.

Nothing from your hard disk is loaded in a PE state, therefore everything is on the table.

I know that it is possible to manually force DF into attempting defrag of the MFT and pagefile and thus it is possible that this process takes place when doing whole-disk defrags.

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Instructions on creating your own PE are at the following link: http://virtualfoundry.blogspot.com/2010/01/build-windows-7-pe-boot-cd-with-defrag.html

Substitute in DF for the windows defrag utliity. There is no MUI file for DF.

I caution you against using BartPE because the one time I tried it, it was infected with malware. It could have been a false positive, but I cannot tell you what the probability is. It is illegal to distribute PE's, therefore BartPE is suspect anyway.

As a final note, I know that there are some Windows experts who balk at even a safe-mode defrag. I have only one thing to say to them: how long does it take for safe-mode to load? How many files are involved?

Too long and too many. I know what fragmentation does to performance due to a magnification of the problem from using a crappy hard disk and I can tell you that unless your using an SSD, it makes a difference.

Besides, I am an enthusiast user who makes a hobby out of optimizing his system. It is OK for me to spend time modifying things like my TCP/IP settings and figuring out how to make a 64-bit PE state (which is not described in the instructions I provided).

• Moderators

Double Post Thread Closed, Please use the one in Defraggler discussion

ADVICE FOR USING CCleaner'S REGISTRY INTEGRITY SECTION

DON'T JUST CLEAN EVERYTHING THAT'S CHECKED OFF.

Do your Registry Cleaning in small bits (at the very least Check-mark by Check-mark)

ALWAYS BACKUP THE ENTRY, YOU NEVER KNOW WHAT YOU'LL BREAK IF YOU DON'T.

Support at https://support.ccleaner.com/s/?language=en_US

Pro users file a PRIORITY SUPPORT via email support@ccleaner.com