Two entries for same program in "Uninstall"

clanderson

Hey! I have had this problem with ccleaner for a while now, but just decided to inquire about it in the forums.

So, basically, in my Uninstall list, I have a program that shows two entries, displayed in the pic below.

2iuonc7.jpg

This has happened before with various other programs.

I was wondering - what's up with this? Anything I should do?

• Moderators

Hi clanderson, and welcome to Piriform.

Do the same duplicate entries appear in Add\Remove Programs, or any other uninstall tool you may have?

Just having a quick look around this comes up as a possible cause ...

The cause of this behavior may be a result of the previous version being installed per machine and the upgrade was installed per user.

http://www.symantec.com/connect/blogs/problem-duplicate-app-entries-addremove-programs

One of the guys may have a definite answer, but just something to think about.

I have seen duplicate uninstall entries before, & multiple things can cause them.

1) Installing the same program, but a different version of it.

2) Sometimes, certain updates to the program may cause such.

3) System Restore anomaly, or certain patches/fixes/updates/corrupted reg may cause this as well.

CCleaner has a button to delete an uninstaller entry in it's uninstaller tool, so it may work to remove one of them via CCleaner.

• Moderators

CCleaner has a button to delete an uninstaller entry in it's uninstaller tool, so it may work to remove one of them via CCleaner.

The problem with doing that is some things have orphaned entries, and deleting one of them may wipe out the whole thing.

Also some software may have additional components which can cause it. Personally I'd leave it alone - if it ain't broken...

The problem with doing that is some things have orphaned entries, and deleting one of them may wipe out the whole thing.

Also some software may have additional components which can cause it. Personally I'd leave it alone - if it ain't broken...

True... May cause it not to uninstall, although usually it does.

If that happens, a repair install or re-install is usually enough to fix it.

Additional components may be included with some software, such as Office, but you (usually) cannot delete a MSI installer without special utilities.

The codec pack, from what I understand, is likely using a form of installer package based on NSIS/Installshield type install/uninstall methodologies.