Tried all posted suggestions, but Defraggler not Defraggling very much

moeburn

I've checked "exclude restore point file", "exclude hibernation file" (even though I don't hibernate my pc), "Stop VSS". I've also checked all the files that show up in the file list after analysis except for the 8GB pagefile.sys (why doesn't Defraggler have an option to exclude the page file as well?). Before the analysis, my drive was 40% fragmented according to Defraggler. Now it is 34% fragmented. Not much of an improvement.

And that was after 12 hours of Defraggling! I know that some Defrag programs take multiple runs to fully defrag the drive, but these usually finish within 30 minutes or less. I figured if it was taking 12 hours to complete (about 1% every 7 minutes), it would have been completely defragged! Is this common?

I've checked "exclude restore point file", "exclude hibernation file" (even though I don't hibernate my pc), "Stop VSS". I've also checked all the files that show up in the file list after analysis except for the 8GB pagefile.sys (why doesn't Defraggler have an option to exclude the page file as well?). Before the analysis, my drive was 40% fragmented according to Defraggler. Now it is 34% fragmented. Not much of an improvement.

You didn't state you ran the BootTimeDefrag as suggested. This defrags pagefile.sys and some other system files before Windows loads.

You didn't state you ran the BootTimeDefrag as suggested. This defrags pagefile.sys and some other system files before Windows loads.

Whoops! Thanks for that! Also, I apologise for all the recent questions, but I appreciate you answering all of them so quickly!

• 2 weeks later...

Okay, even with a full defrag run twice, tried both using the settings in the sticky http://forum.piriform.com/index.php?showtopic=35458 and not using those settings, and also ran boot-time defrag twice, I can't get the fragmentation below 25%. Don't get me wrong, it made a huge improvement from 48% on the first run, and according to the Windows Defragger, the disk is 0% fragmented. But Defraggler shows it is 27% fragmented numerically, as well as in the drive map, and the list of fragmented files (most of which aren't even system files anyway) This is with about 15% free disk space, which is mroe than the required 10%.

I'll admit most of these files only have 2 or 3 fragments, the top of the list is at 432 fragments. I'm assuming it is because these files are in use by programs running in the background, windows services, dll's attached to windows system applications... ultimately there's no way I can turn off EVERY program that is accessing files on the harddrive. Is there a boot-version of Defraggler that will run off a USB key or something, so that the entire drive can be defragged while not in use at all?