Speccy hangs if no internet?

etuthill

I'm trying to use speccy on a machine that I have on a disconnected network (i.e, not connected to the Internet). It collects all the data up to the Network phase, but then somewhere in there it decides it wants to find something on the Internet, and won't seem to time out - I get the little "spinny" icon in the lower left, and it's been running for almost an hour now. I can't do an Export or Save at all.

Any idea how I can make it stop looking for an Internet that will never be there?

• Moderators

Hi etuthill, and welcome to the forum.

As you've probably realised yourself, Speccy isn't configurable in any real way, so it would probably take an addition to a future version to incorporate a way to exclude a section from it's scan.

Saying that, I'll run it myself later with my connection disabled to make sure that behaviour is normal, and not something unique to your situation.

:)

etuthill - I was able to confirm the behavior you reported. On my Win7 x64 laptop, I turned off the wireless radio breaking the internet connection and ran Speccy (v1.16.317). It populated the information in the window, but the icon at the lower left continued to spin. I turned the wireless radio back on and waited for it to connect to the router & regain the internet connection, but Speccy continued to just cycle. During this time, most of the selections on the File Menu were greyed out.

I had to close Speccy and then restart it to get it to complete normally.

Win10 Pro x64 Desktop (Speccy) - Win10 Pro x64 Laptop (Speccy)

Does portable Speccy exhibit the same problem? I believe that it does, but wanted to see if I could get you to test to be for certain.

Reason is, that the portable.dat file can cause CCleaner to not bring up a prompt or two, so I wanted to see if the same applied to portable vs installed Speccy or not.