i run ccleaner and now harddrive could fail pls help

dooby

hi could any1 help i cleaned my freespace with ccleaner and it crashed half way thro ever since then my laptop on start up always tells me to back up my hard drive because a failure is imminent has ccleaner caused this as it was fine b4..i have to press f1 eveytime i turn it on then it runs fine but darnt save any photos or anything incase it fgails on me can i fix this pls help

What is your Operating System ?

I had a similar disaster message from Windows 7.

I used Windows Explorer and the C:\ Icon had a large Red Streak with less than 200 MB free space.

A mishap inside VMWare Virtual system broke out into my real Windows and used up the 8 GB free space I started with.

You probably have the same result after a Wipe Abort.

If your nerves are strong you can Wipe again and if it completes properly it should then restore normality

Alternatively use TreeSize and that will show you where your free space has gone so you can delete the junk

http://www.jam-software.com/freeware/

• Moderators

Wipe Free Space is an intensive process that does a job on hard drives, and can shorten their lives. It sounds as though your harddrive was already on the verge of dying and the WFS pushed it over the edge.

That said because you stopped the process before it finished, it may just be that you drive is full try to find the file created by the aborted ccleaner run (I think it may be a folder with a bunch of zzzzzzzs or something) and permenantly delete it (shift+delete) (Or as alan said and I missed use TreeSize to find it)

ADVICE FOR USING CCleaner'S REGISTRY INTEGRITY SECTION

DON'T JUST CLEAN EVERYTHING THAT'S CHECKED OFF.

Do your Registry Cleaning in small bits (at the very least Check-mark by Check-mark)

ALWAYS BACKUP THE ENTRY, YOU NEVER KNOW WHAT YOU'LL BREAK IF YOU DON'T.

Support at https://support.ccleaner.com/s/?language=en_US

Pro users file a PRIORITY SUPPORT via email support@ccleaner.com