Secure Overwrite

alijay

What do you mean, it is still there?

Try to recover a file before you over-write it, then try to recover it after you overwrite it.

Reason? It may be possible that the file name is still listed, even after the file itself is gone.

Also, CCleaner is known not to refresh it's display after uninstalling a program sometimes.

Perhaps Recuva is the same way?

Maybe you have to re-scan with Recuva to see if it still really shows up!

What Windows version are you using? XP/Vista/7 32 bit or 64 bit?

Perhaps you are running in elevated permissions mode?

Sometimes there may be trouble overwriting a file in standard permissions mode.

Right click Recuva/run as administrator

• Moderators

It is quite usual for some files not to be overwritten. If you look in the results window there will be the overwrite status for each file selected. Common reasons for no overwrite are File resident in the MFT, File is zero bytes in length, and the rather less helpful Not overwritten. This last cause could be that the file clusters have subsequently been allocated to another file, which may be live or may itself have been deleted.

If every file you try to overwrite fails, post back here.

• 2 weeks later...

I have the same problem as described here. I select the files to be overwritten and then the software states 0 files overwritten; I have rescanned and the files are still there. I am using XP. Your assistance would be appreciated.

• Moderators

Are you running a normal scan or deep scan?

Are the files to be overwritten of greater length than 0 bytes?

Does this happen to all files selected, or just some?

Does the message for the files to be overwritten say 'Not Overwritten', or something else?

If the message is 'Not Overwritten' are the data clusters overwritten by another file (check this in Advanced mode)?

For example I have selected a video which is in an 'excellent state'. I tried to secure overwrite and it came up with the same comment '0 files overwritten'. There is also the comment - 'no overwritten clusters detected'. There were videos that I tried to over write previously and they have the comment 'unrecoverable / ran out of memory'.

• Moderators

When you attempt to overwrite the file there is a box displayed that says Operation Completed. Inside that box is the name of the file you're trying to overwrite. Next to it will be some sort of Status message. What is that message?

What does Recuva say is the size of the video file you're trying to overwrite?

It is both photos and videos that I have attempted to overwrite on 2 separate laptops. When in thumbnail mode, I have attempted to overwrite a photo it just says 0 files overwritten in 0.9 seconds. I attempted one in the llist view and it showed the file to be in an 'excellent state'. I tried to secure overwrite and it came up with the same comment '0 files overwritten'. There is also the comment - 'no overwritten clusters detected' as stated previously. Thanks

• Moderators

I need an answer to both questions in post 11. 'No overwritten clusters' is a comment in the Info box for the file, not a response to the overwrite action (and does not relate to the secure overwrite operation).

• Moderators

Right click on the file you wat to overwrite.

Select Secure Overwrite Highlighted.

When a box pops up saying Are You Sure, press Yes.

A box will pop up headed Operation Completed. It will also say 'Overwritten x files in x seconds'.

In that box will be listed the file name and the status, overwritten, not overwritten, etc. We need that staus.

If you're not doing this, what are you doing?

• Moderators
There were videos that I tried to over write previously and they have the comment 'unrecoverable / ran out of memory.

Does this message - which I have never come across before - apply to the file you're trying to overwrite? Whether it does or not run a normal scan (the message should not be present with a normal scan) and attempt a secure overwrite on a random file.

If that's OK then close any other applications so you have enough memory for this message not to appear on a deep scan. Then try the secure overwrite.

SSD or HDD ? I don't have any information on this - I thought they were a reference to folders etc

NTFS or FAT32 ?I don't have any information on this - I thought they were a reference to folders etc

Also what sort of XP,

Home / Pro ? Home

SP3 ? SP3

Does this message - which I have never come across before - apply to the file you're trying to overwrite? Yes

Whether it does or not run a normal scan (the message should not be present with a normal scan) and attempt a secure overwrite on a random file. I have tried overwrites on all sort of files whether there is sufficient memory or not; I will try again

If that's OK then close any other applications so you have enough memory for this message not to appear on a deep scan. Then try the secure overwrite.