Windows global index (.gid) file deletion?

Tech^Cellfish

Hi,

I'm doing some cleanup on a fileserver.. also manually by searching. I have a habit originating from Win95 by searching *.tmp *.gid etc, but .gid deletion wasn't mentioned on the feature list of CCleaner. Does it delete .gid files?

I tried to test it, but it won't take my files. Not sure if CCleaner only checks specific locations. The file is completely safe to delete (if it's a Windows global index file) More about how to recognize .gid and about the file here:

http://filext.com/detaillist.php?extdetail=GID

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?...ben-us%3b129326

• Moderators

.gid files are junk files, however CCleaner doesn't currently remove them. You could always create an entry for your own usage via what's listed in winapp2.ini.

Another possibility and easier solution is to just download EasyCleaner, it's capable of removing the hidden .gid files using it's Unnecessary button, and it complements CCleaner to the point where CCleaner and EasyCleaner are the only two safe cleaning utilities you'll ever need.

One note if you do download and use EasyCleaner make sure you input into the EasyCleaner Registry button the following to Skip: ccleaner

Doing that will stop EasyCleaner from wiping out your CCleaner settings stored in the registry.

When you say 'currently' does that mean it may be implemented?

I can see why it won't, because the .gid is stored everywhere and a complete scan of an harddrive would take much longer than a run of CCleaner. But with the coming of indexed file systems, this would be a nice addition to CCleaner.

Thanks for the tip about EasyCleaner, but since this is the only thing I'm missing so far I'll live with CCleaner & manual deletion :)

• Moderators
When you say 'currently' does that mean it may be implemented?

22637[/snapback]

I have no ideal what will be included in future CCleaner versions, that's up to MrG the CCleaner developer. You could always create a batch file that will recursively search your whole hard disk for .gid and automatically delete them.

To do such without having to manually search for them open a command prompt and figure out the settings you'll need by reading the help file for attrib by typing in attrib /? and then do the same for del by typing in del /?