Registry Problems

olegs

Hi all!

Here is the issue that I have.

Yesterday I accidentally downloaded Win 7 total security. The program flooded me with fake infection alerts, and blocked me from the internet unless I buy the full version. I did some research, got my internet back and was advised to download SUPERantispyware. I did that, scanned my computer, and it found 1 registry error and a bunch of adware cookies. I hit fix, restarted the computer, and ALL of my programs stopped working properly. Every time I try to open anything it asks me which program I want to use, and some programs wont even open after that. So I did some more research and downloaded CCLeaner, and scanned the registry. It came up with a lot of errors. Missing shared DLLs, Installer reference issues, unused file extensions, and a bunch of others. I backed up the registry and fixed them all with Cleaner, after which I couldnt open anything at all. So I restored the registry, and am having the same issue as before CCleaner, which is that I always get an error while trying to open anything, and then some programs wont open. Does anybody have any idea how to fix this?

Thanks everybody in advance

Oleg

• Moderators

Hi Oleg, and welcome to the forum.

These "rogue" antivirus programs really need to be removed quickly and correctly, so my advice is to have your computer "cleaned" properly by our Malware Removal Expert.

Please go to this thread in our Spyware Hell section ...

http://forum.piriform.com/index.php?showtopic=20120

... and follow as many of the instructions as you can, and then post your logs in a new thread here ...

http://forum.piriform.com/index.php?showforum=12

If you can't carry out any of the instructions, or have any problems at all, post that also in your new thread and our Spyware Moderator will guide you from there.

• Moderators

Have you tried using System Restore and restoring to a pre-infection restore point?

That is not the way to solve malware/virus infections.

It is better to follow the advice given in Dennis's post.

Support contact

https://support.ccleaner.com/s/contact-form?language=en_US&form=general

or

support@ccleaner.com

CCleaner is designed to clean not for removing malware / viruses so use anti-virus software such as AVG, Avast, Avira (all have freeware versions).

If the infection is too deep then you can use a bootable CD with AV software for offline file scanning.

As for CCleaner's detection of unused file extensions don't trust it, it will hack off perfectly legitimate file extensions.

I've reported this problem several times to the developers but no one appears to be taking this issue seriously.

A System Restore is one of the most effective ways to repair the system registry but you should only do this once the infection has been removed.

Richard S.

That is not the way to solve malware/virus infections.

It is better to follow the advice given in Dennis's post.

I assumed that SuperAntispyware had removed his infection.

Also, did you make a backup of the registry keys before you ran CCleaner?

• Moderators

With due respect to all you guys, when it comes to dispensing advice on Malware removal, we have to draw a very firm line as to who can do this, otherwise members with little or no knowledge on this subject would be able to stick their two penneth in.

We therefore drew up a forum rule to simply assure that people with virus infections got the best and the right advice. Bad advice as all you regulars will know, can do real damage.

So in every instance, please direct people to the right place as outlined in the forum rules, and my post above ...

Rule No 10. "Giving advice on Malware Removal".

Thanks.